Monday, December 03, 2007

Any one need a Vegan friendly main course or just a great side dish

I just made wild rice stuffed acorn squash & it turned out great! Found in the November 2007 Everyday Food magazine

What you need:
2 acorn squash (1.5 lbs. each) halved lengthwise, seeds removed. (I cut the tops off instead)
2 Tbls. olive oil
1 shallot, minced (I used 1/2 red onion)
2 garlic cloves, minced (might be too much...)
1/2 tsp. dried rubbed sage (I use poultry seasoning - it is mainly sage...)
salt & pepper
1 box wild rice blend (seasoning packet discarded) I used 1 cup of Lundberg's Black Japonica rice instead
1/2 cup dried cherries (I used Trader Joe's dried berry medley - which has blue berries and strawberries in addition to the cherries - I think Craisins would work too.)
1/2 cup pecans, chopped

Method:
preheat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange squash cut side down ; cover tightly with aluminum foil. Roast until tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife. about 40 minutes. (I lined my cookie sheet with foil and put  bit of olive oil on that.)

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium. Add shallot, garlic, and sage; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add rice and 1 3/4 cups of water (I had to add 2 cups - I followed the directions on my package of rice) bring to boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until tender, without stirring, about 25 minutes. (I cooked mine for closer to 50 minutes - following the package directions.)

Remove rice from heat and stir in cherries and pecans; season with salt & pepper. Dividing evenly, mound stuffing into halves, and serve.

I think you can add diced carrots and celery to the oil for a while before adding the onions and garlic.

For the meat eaters, you can probably add sausage too. I almost served sweet italian sausage on the side, but I forgot - we did not miss it & my husband is a certified carnivore.

BTW in case anyone was wondering, a heck of  lot of bloggers/quilters feel that mac & cheese is comfort food. (I can get on that bandwagon too, but I am more of a sweet girl.)

2 comments:

Karen Dianne Lee said...

I'm SO SO SO into a Vegan friendly main course. You can't imagine. I'm still waking up so I'll come back later and read this in more detail. ;)

sophie said...

Amy, I made this tonight and it was SO yummy. Thanks for sharing it.