Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Shakespeare in the Park quilt top


Shakespeare in the Park quilt top
Originally uploaded by aviva_hadas

Just a quick, "What's new in my corner of the Universe" post before I catch up on a TON of blogs....

This quilt top was made with 2 fabrics. One of which was a commerical "faux" hand dyed print by Ricky Timms. While it was purchsed in a quilt shop, the quality was far from ideal.... But the look is exactly what I was after. The pattern is by Judy Martin & for once was faithfully followed. (I guess now would be an ideal time to mention that I had a friend do the piecing... This was so far down on my "TO DO" list that it wasn't getting done...)

If you are a "neatnick" you have read far enough... Come back in several sentences.

I am not a neatnick. My husband is less of one... Not a pretty combination.
We both seem to suffer from flat surface-itis - no flat surface can stay clear....
So this past weekend, we did a good clean. (not a great clean, but a very good clean) of our abode.
Are we alone? When will I get to going through the stuff that just moved to the bedroom &/or studio?
Since (the American) Thanksgiving is next week. (Which reminds me, happy belated Veteran's Day - I enjoyed my time at the Dentist - NOT!) I was able to convince my husband to try to keep it somewhat clear... :o)

The neatnicks in the crowd are welcome back.

Quilt shop Hopping - anyone do it? anyone enjoy the process?
I have decided that I am not a hopper - I actually knew that already (not unlike any other gambling that I have tried - I have not had the positive reinforcement to do it more that once or twice.) I used the shop hop as an excuse to visit a shop that is new to me - only after I was told be someone who knows that the shop was one that I would like - she was so right!

The Artful Quilter in Centreville, Virginia (Google it - I am blogging from Flickr, so I can't hyperlink it, sorry.) is sooooo me on sooooo many levels. That & I think they carry the whole kit & kaboodle that Kaffe ever put out. I am not sure how he can keep printing it, but as I was in the shop they were unloading "new" old stuff & said that they try to keep it in stock.

Apparently, when some people see "X" quilt in "Y" book made with "Z" selection of fabrics, they want to copy it... So a smart shop tries to keep those fabrics on hand...

I was going to visit the shop nearest it - since I was so close, but not unlike Houston, I shot my wad in one spot!

I did go to one of my regular shops the next day to enter the raffle & to drop off my challenge quilt - the one that I apparently forgot to take a photo of... Ah well, hopefully I will be able to blog about how I won the prize...

I mentioned Thanksgiving earlier - any plans out there? menus? (I am almost set... I'll blog that in a couple more days too...)

18 comments:

Vicki W said...

I LOVE that quilt!

dot said...

Beautiful. This is one quilt I am difinately going to make next year. I have had it on my to do list for to long. I just love seeing it and everyone I have seen is just beautiful. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Libby said...

I'm not a big shop-hopper either . . . while I enjoy the exploration and discovery of new shops - that organized hopping with so many folks in the store make it difficult to see and search.

Your quilt is gorgeous.

JudyL said...

Your quilt is beautiful!! Your friend did a fantastic job! We suffer from that same flat surface-itis around here too. It's a constant battle that I never seem to win.

Kim West said...

Beautiful quilt!! I like shop hops as long as there is not 60+ shops on the hop (Western Washington Shop Hop and you only have 4 days) about 10-15 shops over two weekends is doable (Oahu Shop Hop)

Laurie Ann said...

I have GOT to make one of those!!! I guess I should start by picking up the pattern. :) Yours is lovely!

Fiona said...

I am the very antithesis of a neatnik - I swear that piles of paper reproduce themselves in my house. I can only take close ups of quilts etc. in the house because otherwise I would have to expose my untidy ways. Trouble is ... to a great extent I just don't care, I have a fantastic ability to just blot out the newspapers, towels, piles of post, I just don't see them. Until someone calls to see me unexpectedly.

tirane93 said...

that is a simply stunning top. brava!

Shelina said...

I was about to get very angry with you for having finished a Shakespeare in the Park quilt that I didn't even know you had started. This one is gorgeous - such lovely colors. It is on my to-do list, and I have collected the fabrics - yes in similar colors to the original - so as soon as I get a couple of quilts out of the way, it will get started.
I love a good quilt sale, but usually it is way too crowded to really enjoy anything. I haven't done any shop hopping, but I think that too would add to the stress rather than give me any pleasure.

Tanya said...

That Shakespeare in the park is gorgeous! Shelina first introduced me to this quilt and I've fallen in love. How I'd like to try to make this some day. Not for awhile I'm afraid... What a stupendous job!

Ruth's Place said...

The quilt is beautiful!!

swooze said...

Oh I LOVE it!

Mel said...

That's really beautiful.

I like shop hops, because it gets me into some shops that are a little further away than I'd normally go, but yike, is there really one with 60 shops? That's just crazy!

As far as Thanksgiving, we are staying home this year, despite some familial pressure not to, and I am cooking pot roast because I don't like turkey all that much. I haven't quite figured out the rest of the menu yet!

andsewitis Holly said...

Beautiful quilt! I've never shop-hopped. Don't know why. Guess I tend to be on the frugal side and just use scraps. Thanksgiving -- ah, I need to clean and cook and plan, too.

Hanne said...

Beautiful quilt!
We don't have shop hops here, and doing one online do not appeal to me.
Guess I am to frugal - all that expensive postage ;-)

Laura said...

Wow, what a gorgeous quilt!

atet said...

LOVE the shakespear in the park quilt. As for shop hopping -- it all depends on the hop, the shops, and the state of my finances. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I know -- ever so helpful aren't I?

As for the neatnicks out there -- I sure as heck am not one of them. BTW -- what does a clear flat surface look like?

JudyJudy said...

Love the pattern....I saw it done in a couple of different colourways in a recent quilt show, went home and bought the book! I want to make it in your bright colours as a wedding quilt for my granddaughter.