Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Comfort Food

What is your comfort food? (Make me feel good - go ask the question, then blog about it... Include the recipe if you can.)

I am not sure that I have a single comfort food... But one that is on my list (even though I have not had it in a long time) is Rice Pudding. I first met Rice Pudding when I moved to Baltimore in 1994. My boy friend at the time liked it a lot... He would get the pre-made stuff out of the dairy case in the grocery store & eat it cold. I decided that I could make it - what is so hard... I winged it & the first time it worked out perfectly (it flopped thereafter, not unlike my pecan pies...) Then I decided to look for a recipe. I found this one:

Rice PuddingAdapted from The Joy of Cooking, 1997
3/4 cup white basmati rice
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 tsp. salt
4 cups whole milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

In a large, heavy saucepan, combine the rice, water, and salt. Place over medium-high heat, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer gently until the water has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Add the milk and sugar, and stir to mix. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring frequently, until the rice and milk have come together into a creamy, amalgamated porridge. Don't overcook it, or it will get too solid upon cooling. Remove the pot from the heat, and add the vanilla extract. Stir well. Scoop the pudding into a serving bowl or individual cups, and press a sheet of plastic wrap against its surface to prevent a skin from forming. Chill.

It is so yum, but what is so much better on a cold day (not unlike today) is to eat it hot! (o.k. warm, so you don't burn your tongue.)

You can mix in raisins or other dried fruits, add cinnamon &/or nutmeg (pumpkin pie spice) what ever you like.

My question to those of you who are more knowlegeable that me...
Do you think this would work with brown rice?

14 comments:

tirane93 said...

sure it works with brown rice! you always adjust the amount of water in a recipe for the kind of rice you're using, but brown rice pudding has a really interesting, almost nutty taste to it.

i use honey instead of sugar in my rice pudding.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I think it would be fabulous with brown rice, I might have to cook some up right now just to see how that might be. I love rice pudding and Tapioca Pudding, too; my grandmother used to make that for me when I was a little girl!

Rian said...

I love rice. But I am not overly fond of rice pudding for some reason. Maybe I've never had good rice pudding. I think brown rice would be wonderful, though. Give it a go. I bet you'll like it.

My favorite comfort food might be mac 'n cheese. After cookies, of course.

Laura said...

I don't think I have ever had rice pudding! My comfort food is definately chips and french onion dip. yum!

joyce said...

Rice pudding is one of my faves. It's even better with brown rice. My favorite recipe is made in the oven with white rice, but only like 5 tbsp and cooked for a couple of hours. It turns out much more creamy and with a lovely crust on top. Email me if you'd like the recipe.

Jeri said...

Hmmm, I like rice pudding AND tapioca. I think my fave is homemade Macaroni & Cheese though. Or lumpy mashed potatoes with skins and lots of butter. But, Laura's chips and dip are sounding pretty good right now... with a real Coke, fountain style (not a can or bottle). Or, what about pot roast and carrots?

Quilt Pixie said...

I've never made it with brown rice, but I've eaten it that way -- its a heavier dessert with a nuttier flavour that I find overwhelms the custard and spices....

Ruth's Place said...

yum... I love rice pudding, but husband hates it so I never make it (don't want to eat it all on my own). My comfort food - food in general lol

andsewitis Holly said...

My comfort food? If it is salty or sweet, sticky, warm, has tons of fat and calories, it will qualify as a comfort food for me. I don't think I have a favorite.

Exuberant Color said...

My comfort food is salty and crunchy, potato chips are at the top of the list. And serve that with a Dr. Pepper please.
I don't like any kind of pudding. My mother made homemade custard and bread pudding and tapioca and I can't stand any of them.

Melinda said...

Rice pudding is my favorite comfort food. I have a receipe that uses sweetened condensed milk - it is so good! It might be fun to try it with brown rice.

Shelina said...

I see you mentioned nutmeg, but you forgot cardomon seeds. Other than that, our rice pudding recipes are similar. I like it bunches too!
I'm sure you can use brown rice, but for me that would lose the comfort factor.

atet said...

Comfort food? Mac and Cheese. From the box!

Kim said...

ohhhh I'm going to have to try this. I love your baby quilt all those bright letters against black and white.
My fav comfort food: mac and cheese that my mil makes :) But with lots of cayanne pepper added to it. I like mine spicey :)