Friday, October 19, 2007

What can I say about red?


A Halloween treat for you!
2 bloggers in a quilt shop Do you recognize us? I am on the left, & Laurie of Quilting Rush fame is on the right. Yes, ladies & gentlemen, she came all the way from Washington State to Maryland to go shopping with me. :o) (Not really, but boy does that sound good.) We (I) had a great time, Laurie is so nice & the conversation flowed so easily. (Not a common occurence for me.) The photo is in Capital Quilts, my LQS. Isn't that quilt great. The first time I saw it, I said, "I don't like red." WHO AM I KIDDING?
Aside: Sophie hit it on the head when she used the description, Omnivore Quilter. We like/try it all. (almost.)
Back to my story... We first met at the fabric shop near where I work. Luckily Laurie was there for a while, so that I did not have to revive her when she saw the $13.79 per yard price tag. But Laurie did a good job trying to teach them about fat quarters - still a very new concept in that store. So I walk up to her & she has 3 fat quarters - I am such a geek, I said, "Metro Blue." (Are peoplpe supposed to be able to ID fabric like that?) So then we drove to Capital Quilts. Where they have a nice fat quarter bin, which included a Metro Blue FQ. (I knew ahead of time that they had a few bolts of Metro Blue.) So Laurie shopped around & found the other bolts. New concept came to fruition, "Kismet" (Yiddish = meant to be) you see, Laurie got 1 FQ at G Street, 1 fq out of the bin at Capital Quilts - the other bolts were different - so she awas able to get a variety. (My luck they would all be duplicates.)
We had a nice pizza - Panzanella (Is that a "type" offered where you live?) which is a white pizza that uses Asiago & Fontina cheese instead of (or maybe in addition to - but I think instead of) mozarella.
& then Laurie got some excitement. I drove her to the Metro station. First I drove like I was going to the parking garage. OOPS. So I went around looking for the "entrance from the other way." There isn't one if you are not a bus! So we drove all the way around to try again. What did I do? I tried to make the same mistake twice. So I drove backwards... (not so well, but not bad enough to jump the curb.) & got her to the "kiss & ride." The funniest part, I have dropped off & picked my husband up at that very location, numerous times.
I almost forgot, I got a few more red on whites from a friend on flickr last night. :o)

8 comments:

Morah said...

Sounds like a good time. Isn't it fun to actually meet the people we talk to online?! A while back on the nickle group I did a red and white swap. It becomes a serious passion.

Laurie Ann said...

It was fun. I am so glad we were able to meet up. You are a good backer-upper! :)

Judy H. said...

I don't know that it's very strange that you can identify a line of fabric like that. After several years in yarn shops, I can often identify a yarn used in a sweater, even from a picture! (And yes, every time I do it I feel like something must be wrong with me...)

Mama Koch said...

Yes, it's a very red quilt...I love it!
Sounds like you two had fun.

Tanya said...

So nice to see two blogging friends together and having a good time!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

That would be great, to meet some bloggers...so much in common to start!
Enjoying your reds, looking forward to the end result...and not forgotten you are close in line for a quilt from me!! Tracey

cher said...

hurray for meeting a fellow blogger!

Ruth's Place said...

How nice that you got to meet up with a fellow blogger! Sounds like a wonderful day.