Monday, October 01, 2007

The weekend... & the week to come.

Hanukkah A little top that I made & my female supervisor. I really wanted the focus fabric to "be it" on this quilt. So I chose Kona solids to go with it. I made the pieced rows according to measurements in a magazine - that I misplaced... GRUMBLE! But I did not pay attention completely - I think they used more fabrics & they did not repeat the one print a lot. So I used it as a guide rather than a pattern.

Basically the top & bottom are width of fabirc - you can do some figuring to get theo others... All row widths are the same... (width of ruler, ahem.)

The basic principle is in Bend the Rules Sewing by Amy Karol without measurements...

In the magazine they used all large scale prints & it worked out nicely, too.

I also decided to use my "scraps" aka Nickels (5 inch charm of fabric - 2 books written that use them extensively, I used to trade them). Tracey may recognize a few of these...
fall rectangles You see to make her Fall doll quilt, I cut a 1.5 inch strip off of several nickels & sewed them up ala Successful Scrap Quilts from Simple Rectangles by Margaret Rolfe & Judy Turner. On Traceys quilt, I used an "8" block without paying attention to value...

So I trimmed those not quite nickels down to 2.5 x 4.5 bricks... (I also traded those & made a couple quilts using them...)

On this quilt I used an "18" & I tried to pay attention to value... The mediums muddies it up a bit & the bottom row was pieced "the other way." But this was an exercize in using what I had... Doing something. Avoiding the future...

The future... Why avoid it?
I am having minor same day surgery tomorrow - so for those of you who do, please send good thoughts my way... (Brownies would be appreciated, too!)

One close up for Annie...
a dandylion A dandylion that I did not even know I had...

This is proof - I went from brand new easy to piece matchy-matchy blue cool tones to use what you have old scraps in warm fall tones - in 1 day...

Now do I go back to brand new Joel Dewberry fabrics - or old florals that are cut & ready to go? Oh & there is the official Fall UFO? The taupes? The Aleph-Bet rows that need to become a top? The Bleeker Street blocks? The I SPY gift quilt? The Aleph-Bet gift quilt? (More proof, huh?)

14 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

Sending a prayer your way for successful surgery and a quick recovery!!

Jeanne said...

Hugs,hugs. You'll be in my thoughts.
Jeanne

Laura said...

I love both tops! Sending prayers your way!!!! You definately wouldn't want any brownies that I could make! Take Care.

Samantha said...

Hope the surgery is fast and you have an easy recovery!

Shelina said...

Best wishes for your surgery and a quick recovery. You did exactly what I did - go from a very matchy blue top to a fall scrap quilt. Although my fall scrap is kinda matchy too. Best wishes on all the different projects you have available to you as well.

andsewitis Holly said...

I'll be thinking of you. Have your hubby whip up some brownie batter for you to finger lick right out of the bowl. That will speed recovery :)

Ruth's Place said...

Thinking of you and your surgery. I'm hoping for the best possible outcome and a quick recovery, Ruth.

atet said...

Happy thoughs for you for your surgery. Lovely lovely quilts you are showing and as for the next project -- um, the one that has to be done the soonest? The first thing that comes to hand? I don't think there is a wrong answer with those choices!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

It's funny, I was looking at the fabrics thinking "that's my quilt!", then saw my name, lol, look after yourself and quick healing! tracey

meggie said...

Sending good vibes your way Amy! Hope all is well.
Loved your little scrap quilt!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Hope all is well with you, sending hugs and best wishes for a super-speedy recovery! The quilts are all wonderful.

Tanya said...

I've said a prayer for you too. Hope you don't get laid up too much. Let us know soon how you are feeling.

woof nanny said...

Sending get well wishes your way...
I don't know how you manage to complete so many projects. Check out my recent post on the Japanese craft book. I thought of you when I posted the curtain pic and the tea cozy pic. Take care, Barb

cher said...

yep, good thoughts etc...I hope you get back to your quilting quickly