Friday, September 28, 2007

Why I can't be a Tee Vee cook...

So I took another trip in the way back machine yesterday. This time I was in Sam's blog, Diary of a Mad Fabri-holic, way back in October 2005. First let me say that I thought her old posts just rolled off & died - her blog only shows the last 12 months, you have to "look for" anything older...
I was looking for her pumpkin cookies recipe.

(I am SOOOOOOO ready for Fall! Maybe some pumpkin cooking will force it to come and stay for a while.)

It is very good, but in reality on Thursday after work, I do not need that many ingredients... & I recently bought a bag of "old" bananas - so I found this recipe & decided to give it a go.

Banana Bread Pie
2 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup biscuit mix (like Bisquick)
2 large eggs
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 Tbsp. butter; melted
1 tsp vanilla
Place bananas in a large mixing bowl and mash with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well blended. Pour the mixture into a 9 in pie place and bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes. The pie should be caramelized on the edges but still a little soft in the center.

Just what the doctor ordered... simple & good & warm.

So what about that blog title...

Lets just say that 14 oz. of canned sweetened condensed milk is a goal, not a requirement. You can get away with say 13 oz. just fine...
You see, I opened the can, but that last little bit did not come apart from the can... So I am trying to pry it off with out cutting myself or getting the bit on the lid on the counter... so I start rocking it back & forth - not paying attention to the fact that the can contains a liquid.... I spilled some from the can onto the counter & my hand & the floor, by the time it was all said & done. So I dumped into the mixer before losing any more of it... Yes, that is when the lid came off into the mixer....

Every thing else worked out just fine - I spilled some of the Bisquick - but that was expected...

Enjoy the pie, I did!

Oh and on a quilty note, I had EVERY intention of honoring my own pledge to Take a Stitch Thursday, but I failed miserably... Hopefully I find my groove again real soon. (I bought a lot of batting this week...)

10 comments:

calamitykim said...

so- what does it taste like? banana bread is one of our favorites- a PIE!!! might even be better! That whole spilling thing is just par for the course in my kitchen...small calamities...I might try this recipe after another 20 lbs...you know, as a reward!

Rian said...

So is it pie or is it bread?

Shelina said...

On MY TV show, I show my viewers what to do when having mishaps like that. It teaches them not to be afraid of cooking - so I try to be sure to have a mishap on every episode!

Kim West said...

You will have to make it again to show a pic - sounds wonderful. I have every thing except the bananas - I made the kids eat them before they got bad... darn

woof nanny said...

lol. Sounds like me in the kitchen. Only with me, half the contents would be spattered on the wall too. But that doesn't prevent me from being an awesome baker! I'll give this a go.

Studio Christine said...

I LOVE my take-along projects.

I use a thin pellon on the back of my stitcheries, and don't use a hoop.

I DO only take things with one shade of thread, things that I don't need too much concentration for.

All I need is a baggie, stitchery/pieces, needle, thread and some sort of cuttin implement for the thread ends.

have also basted hexagons this way, and pieced Dear Jane blocks too.

Jeanne said...

Heeheehee! Well, now I need to get a can of sweetened condensed milk, don't I?
Jeanne :)

Ruth's Place said...

Just popping in to say hi! The recipe sounds great and I love the quilts you've finished recently.

Jeanne said...

Thanks for sharing the banana bread pie recipe. It sounds delicious.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

OK - got to TRY banana bread pie! Sounds like too much fun - Little Boy LOVES to cook, so I almost always have a little helper! You better believe that his "help" means lots of spills and interesting mishaps! AND, I finally posted my pound cake/rum glaze recipe for you over on my cooking blog!

Cheers!

Evelyn