Thursday, September 27, 2007

What were you doing 15 months ago?

I was enamoured with KC Quilter's "to go" project. Curious? Take a look in the way back machine to July 2006. I asked for the details on the pattern - printed pre-websites... I finally found a copy. :o) I have a little thing for Noah's Ark & love the simplicity of this green work piece.

With all of my current UFO's and need to do's, I am not sure when I will try my hand at this, but...

I have a question or two for all of you hand embroiderers out there....

Would you use linen as the fabric on which you are stitching? Do you "need" a hoop? I haven't even considered embroidering since I was probably about 8 years old. (Cross stitch not included.)

But I would love to add bits of embroidery to my little doll quilts - & I have a WHIMM* that will use my hankies and some old croched bits** where some embroidery would be nice too.

*WHIMM = Work hidden in my mind.
** my great grandmother croched the edges of pillow cases, hankies, etc. I have the croched ends off of several pillow cases - no idea what to do with them, so I am thinking maybe something like this: Arsenic & Old lace. Only mine won't be halloweeny, nor will I tea dye... I also don't really want an over the top 30's vibe either.... So the idea is still germinating. :o) BTW At that link is a tutorial, so you can play along with Calamity Kim. :o)

7 comments:

calamitykim said...

I like the *WHIM*- I have that A LOT!!! I still use an embroidery hoop when embroidering just one layer of cloth because it prevents puckering. If I am doing something stuffed or quiltie- then no hoop.
Stitch on Sistah and thanks for the link!

paula, the quilter said...

I, too, use an embroidery hoop to minimize puckering. Linen? I just use whatever I have that will work. I followed the link to KCQuilter and fell in love with the pattern. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

soren2go said...

Hi Calico Cat....I just saw that you had commented on my blog. I'm just down the road from you near the Rio and Shady Grove Hospital. I was amazed to get a comment on my blog. I started it on a whim to keep a diary of sorts of some of my projects and thoughts on life in general. It's been fun reading the blogs of other quilters and seeing what everyone is doing. I'm a member of Friendship Star Quilt Guild. How about you?

Shelina said...

My to-do list is WHIMM - which is a good thing because some of those things just stay hidden!
I haven't done a lot of embroidery, so can't help you there. I prefer fabric that is either preprinted or else an even weave where I can properly count my stitches.

atet said...

Linen is perfect for embroidery/stitching -- but just about anything can work as long as you can get the needle into it easily.

As for the hoop -- for embroidery (and whenever I'm working on linen or even weave for cross stitch) I do though I don't LIKE them. My favorite is my q-snap frame -- no pokey bits to get in the way. But, I've been seeing others who put some batting behind their stitcheries -- this might make it stable enough to not need the hoop, I'm going to try it myself.

Rose Marie said...

Linen is wonderful for embroidery, but I use anything that my needle can get into easily (cotton, poly-cotton, denimn, knit, etc.). I use a hoop as it is so much easier to work the needle and thread. Have fun!

andsewitis Holly said...

I would embroider on linen. I usually use a hoop. When not, I'm careful not pull too tightly but tight enough - the delicate balance. Hmmmm... what is Amy up to now?