Tuesday, September 25, 2007

HELP... (Some that I need & some that I provide)



You can get this pattern from the designer here: Oy Vey. I own it & made it back before I knew that you could use your own fabric choices in a quilt pattern... I am not a plaid girl, so I sent my version of this to Morah. I am about to make it again - but I want to throw out my color idea first...

I am making it for a new born (unknown gender). I have heard that black & white are "stimulating" for infants.... So black & white prints for the background with red letters? Yes/No? Other ideas?

Kathie asked about the Alpeh Bet fabrics that I shared yesterday... This is my source for those prints (she sells this quilt pattern too.)

I have also ordered Judaic fabrics from this location: Fancy Delancy. (The have Taupe, CW repro, Oriental, and the kind of prints that you expect. & They have paper pieced patterns... The letters kind of have a Free Pieced look to them.)

BTW last night, I started to piece a crib sized Zipper using the Aleph bet prints & coordinating solids. And I started a graphic strippy quilt using the candles print & coordinating solids.

I want to try out quilt as you go - but the batting that I got is polyester & I don't care for its feel, so I need to return it to Joanns and get the kind that I have been using on my doll quilts at the LQS - luckily I have a coupon that is valid on batting this weekend.

11 comments:

Tamera said...

The black and white and red will work well since you don't know the gender. Any high contrast colors will work, though. It just has to be high contrast. There's nothing magic about the black and white and red. :-)

Laura in IA said...

Amy I have heard that about black and white baby quilts also. My newest granddaughter at only 6 months was trying to pick up a well defined yellow/black stripe from her quilt! I think she has inherited this fabric gene.

I also want to mention the small tumbler quilt and its binding from a previous post. I was just looking at a similar one I made and the pattern had us include a tumbler at each end of each row the very same fabric as a 3" wide border. The quilt was then trimmed straight on both ends so that when the borders were added you did not notice the half tumblers of the same fabric. This highly simplified the addition of binding. It may be too late for you to do this and you may prefer the zig zag effect for which you received several helpful hints in which case you should ignore my suggestion or file it away for a future quilt. I can send a picture if you desire email me at jks4665atwillinetdotnet.

Quilt Pixie said...

B&W are definitely good for infants --> their eyes are still developing the ability to differentiate colours.... What feels like too much contrast is probably about right :-)

Shelina said...

When I make a quilt for a baby, I rarely make pink and / or blue. I try to avoid baby colors so that the quilt can take them beyond childhood. I think this quilt would look wonderful with black and white and red. Also in pastels and or primary colors. Just about any color scheme actually, as long as you have enough contrast between the letters and the background.

paula, the quilter said...

I made a baby quilt once with a b&w checkerboard sashing and border. Momma told me when she laid baby down on the floor on the quilt, baby would jerk her head to look at that b&w.

meggie said...

Amy, you are so productive! I have just caught up on your last post, plus this one! Wonderful fall doll quilt, & all your fabrics waiting & tempting you.
B @ W is very striking, so why not to babies too?

Veronica said...

Interesting about the b&w quilts. I've always heard that primary colors are good for infants, but why not black and white? I think the red letters will be great.

Marisa said...

I have some judaic taupe fabrics...let me know if you want me to pass them along to you for your new project! Mazel tov!

swooze said...

I think your color ideas are great!

atet said...

Black and white are more visible to babies -- but only for the first couple of months. After that they really respond well to color. What about using black and white as the bases and all sorts of bright colors for the letters? I think that much black white and red might be a bit much -- but if you added in some turquoise, bright yellow, fuscia, etc. it could work really nicely -- add all the colors of the rainbow and it will last beyond that brief period where high contrast is all they see :0)

jovaliquilts said...

I have wanted to buy that pattern from Oy Vey, but have two of their other patterns, both with problems (and I got no response when I emailed them). Is this one ok?

You are indeed very, very productive! I got sidetracked by other things in my life for a week, and come back amazed by how much you've done!

And I love the moon. :)