Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Brown


Brown
Originally uploaded by aviva_hadas

How I spent yesterday... O.K. I had about 4 of these done before yesterday & I started working on the templates on Saturday night... I will be adding a brown border. I have more of the yellow floral for the back. Any strong opinions on which fabric to pay attnetion to when sewing these together? I am thinking either the brown print or the red... (The two yellow prints, and the 3 that read as gray in this photo seem to disperse more naturally.)

I used Denyse Schmidts pattern, Hop, skip & jump from her book. Well I actually used the free version that is available from the company that manufactures her fabric, Free Spirit. (freespiritfabric.com) That way I did not have to fight with the Kinko's guy over making the 400% enlargement of a pattern in a book that I own - where the page says to enlarge 400%...

For my next foray into Denyse Schmidt, I have made my copies - I needed legal sized paper - when was the last time (excepting when you are in the real estate/legal business) you saw that stuff? I have my templates, my mechanical pencils, my fabrics, my book, now for some TIME.

I have had the blocks for my blue & white version of this quilt finished for a while - but they seemed "off." As soon as I pieced my first brown block, I realized what i had done wrong on the blue & whites - I sewed a top to a bottom... so they are not "rectangles." I will be "squaring up" those blocks before sewing them together. Good thing i had already planned on adding a border to it...

9 comments:

Libby said...

Ah - the Kinko's Guy . . . with a little bit of authority comes a whole lot of power *s* Looks like a fun quilt.

Shelina said...

It does look like a fun quilt. I would probably separate out the blues - looks like all three are on the right side.

Kay said...

The Kinko's people are SO alert to violations--maybe they could take over homeland security?

Seriously, it's good to know that other people have run into the same problem with them.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love the quilt, I've had my own share of adventures with Kinko employees, unreal!

Goneaussiequilter said...

ooooh, I really love this. I am jealous I have not a single bit of that Flea Market Fancy fabric. Can't wait to see it finished!

Jessica said...

I love it- I love the color choices too- can't wait to see if all finished!

Sharon said...

The brown with the floral should probably be evenly distributed throughout....and maybe Kinko's has a Kinko's University they all have to attend to learn how to frustrate people?

Ruth's Place said...

A little power is a dangerous thing...

The quilt looks great, I'd probably pay attention to the red myself.

Love the cat charm quilt in the previous post, the orange is fabulous!

Samantha said...

Aren't these fun blocks to make?