Thursday, September 20, 2007

Another gifted doll quilt & some questions for all of you in bloggerville

This is the last of my photos that I have not shared yet - I think...
My second doll quilt
This is also a doll quilt hat was a gift several years ago probably in 2005.

Has anyone used Glad Press & Seal for marking quilting designs?
Any advice? What kind of marker should I use? If I want to trace that mark from a book, how would I go about that without sticking the press & seal to the book?

Button Tufting...
I plan to Tuft this quilt...
In Stitches quilt
You see the pattern was not a "normal" quilt pattern - right sides together 1/4 inch seam...
To find out how this should have been pieced, check out this book:
Amy Butler In Stitches (either link will work, one is her website, the other is Amazon.)
I treated it like it was & consequently the quilt top does not lie flat. I figure if I exaggerate the "fullness" with a puffy batt and button tufting that I have hide my sins...
I also plan to "birth" the quilt - that always adds "fullness" to my tops, too.

BTW I am undeterred from making other things in that book - like the strippy circles pillow (as a doll quilt) that is on the couch & the lounge pants...

9 comments:

susan said...

Love the fishy quilt!

Showing my ignorance again:

Glad press and seal? I will have to watch your comments for answers to that question!

"Birth" the quilt? sounds messy, but I am sure you know what you are doing!

You have soooo many ideas and such energy, I am envious!

Exuberant Color said...

Why not use quilt and tear on a roll paper or golden threads paper for your designs? It is a lightweight velumn that tears away easily.

paula, the quilter said...

I've never used the Glad Press 'n Seal that way altho I know you can. I have heard, tho, that you should NOT use a sharpie pen because the ink will transfer to the fabric as the needle pierces the press 'n seal. So what type of pen to use? Why don't you try Crayola Washable markers. Just be sure to test them on (especially) your light fabrics.

flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

I can't imagine what could have gone wrong with it, it looks so cool in your photo, your color choices are yummy!

Tamera said...

Calico,

I found website that gives instructions on using the Press & Seal with a pouncer. It's at http://home.ptd.net/~shoofly/PNS/directions.htm.

She says that she didn't like putting the Press & Seal on the quilt because it was hard to remove.

I can't vouch for her method, but this is the second time I have come across it.

Shelina said...

I really like the fishy quilt. It looks great!

I haven't used the Press & Seal, and don't remember how I am supposed to use it, but I would imagine that you would press it on the book and trace your design. You can use anything - pencil pen marker, but I have been told you need to be careful, in case some of the color winds up on your quilt. Then unpress, press it on your fabric, and just sew through the plastic. Then peel off. That's how I use freezer paper anyway, and it makes sense that the press and seal works the same way.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I'm not sure I'd use the Press and Seal on my quilts. I do use it for leftovers and I've noticed that if I use it over, let's say, a bowl, there's a very slight "stickiness" remaining around the rim after that bowl later comes out of the dishwasher. I can recommend the Golden Threads paper on a roll, though. I sew through stacks of it with an unthreaded sewing machine needle to perf the design which then is easy to follow, it tears off cleanly too...

meggie said...

That little fishy quilt is just lovely.
You are always so busy.

Lauri said...

I have used Press and Seal and I loved it! I took my piece of Press and Seal and placed it over the design I wanted to trace, which was on a piece of paper. I can't remember which marker I used exactly, but I know it was probably a permanent one, because that's about all I have. I think it was one of the scrapbooking kind. It peeled right off the paper and stuck right back down on the fabric, which was Silk Dupioni. Quilted on my design, and had no problem whatsoever with it sticking on the fabric or having the ink from the pen stain it. Pulled it right off and it worked perfectly! I had never heard of it, but it was a technique I learned in a class I took in August. The whole class tried it, and no one had a problem.

Try it! You'll like it!