Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Taupe Tumbler


Taupe Tumbler
Originally uploaded by aviva_hadas

One of my most current tops - Yes, I cut into & sewed up some of my taupes! (I pieced several tops last week while I was off from work between classes.) This top has 15 x 16 tumblers. It was near as hard to cut or piece as I was anticipating. :o)

I need some advice on quilting - I want to do clam shells. The tumblers are about 1 inch tall - should the clam shells be tiny as well? = keeping the scale similar.

(I am thinking of tracing a Snapple juice lid & using that as the circle size? Too big? - I don't really want to go down to a US Quarter size - but I am thinking that that might be closest scale wise....)

I have been away for a while... I have only just finished looking through Flickr at all of the lovely quilty stuff that has been going on... Next up is to open my bloglines.... I can't imaging how many posting are waiting in there... :o)

thanks for all of the help with cats and snow. FYI I am going to use those on two different quilts - free pieced letters spelling cats as a border for a pieced cats quilt & embroidered snow in may languages on an abstract quilt of snow - abstract, because I used a lot of white, cream, tiny bits of black on white prints - because snow is always dirty & messy - so this will be more real that most quilty depictions of snow - I am saving that for the back!

15 comments:

Laura said...

Once again I will say that I love your sense of color! The tumblers top looks awesome!

Fiona said...

Great little top - the colours are so subtle.

Rose Marie said...

I like the colour tones in this mini. Great job! For the quilting, why not try doing a few and see if you like them at the larger size. If you go too small, the design could get lost.

Samantha said...

That's really lovely! I'll leave the quilting advice to others, though.

Kim West said...

that is very pretty - i love the mini quilt - no idea about the scale of quilting though, sorry.

Laurie Ann said...

Taupe Tumblers looks great! Glad to have you back in blog land.

The hen was alive this morning and looking amazingly well. Time will tell, but at least the rooster is gone, so it won't happen again.

paula, the quilter said...

Draw tumblers on a piece of paper and then in another color do your quilting design in one size. Easy and cheap and you're not out a lot of time. HTH.

Teresa said...

That is a lovely quilt top!
Did you hand piece those tumblers? A friend recently made foundation-pieced mini tumbler quilt, which I thought a nice quick idea.

Dont know about the quilting though..... sorry

atet said...

I love that top -- the taupes really work! I have no advice on the qilting but don't see why a Snapple lid wouldn't work...

tami said...

I love the tiny tumblers. Great top I can't wait to see it quilted.

Mary said...

I love tumbler quilts - if you can't decide on the scale of the clam shells how about Baptist Fans?

Marisa said...

Wow! You finally did something with your taupe fabric! You rock! This is an awesome start! Cannot wait to see the final product, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Taupes ROCK!!!

jovaliquilts said...

This is beautiful! Love the subtle color. Please keep us posted on your quilting decision -- it's not something I'm good at so really don't have an informed opinion to offer.

Sweet P said...

I love your tumbler top. What a great way to show off your taupe fabrics.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

This quilt is sweet - the colors are great, so good job for cutting into your taupes! Small baptist fans would be alot of work, but so worth it if that is what you want - you already have put so much work into this piece.

Cheers!

Evelyn