Friday, August 31, 2007

Seascape by Alisa Nicholson


Seascape by Alisa Nicholson
Originally uploaded by aviva_hadas

Another quilt not by me, but truely inspiring. I love how it uses "non-traditional" - as in squares HST's, QST's, rectangles - traditional units. The clam shells, diamonds & I am not sure what those in the sky are called. I am really intrigued by the use of all three especially how the sky unit has a sky feel & those clam shells are perfect for water... Not to mention my love of the scrappiness of it all...

Meanwhile back in my own sewing zone. I recently ran across TAST (Take a Stitch Tuesday & decided to adapt it to my self as Take a Stitch Thursday - I am in class on Tuesday nights.) on a couple blogs. I think the original purpose was for hand embroidery stitches, but....

So last night I took a lot of stitches. I machine quilted 3 doll quilts & I am actually quite pleased with the results - they could be better for me that are right up in the "not bad/pretty good" area. I also did some machine applique & I had appliqued 3 labels. Now all I " have" to accomplish this weekend is to apply & finish the bindings. YAY!

Back to the hand embroidery stitches - anyone want to make a crazy quilt block in the shape of a cat appliqued onto a background? (I want one, but I don't really want to do it... My embroidery "sucks" I am too tight with my stitches & I don't want to have to get a lot of floss & ribbons & stuff...) I'd be willing to trade a project or stuff - yardage, charms - make an offer!

10 comments:

susan said...

Love the seascape! It sounds like you still have a lot of projects going on, how do you do it all?

Have a great weekend!

swooze said...

Hand embroidered block....do you have a pic of what you have in mind? And size?

Mia said...

What size block are you interested in? My embroidery skills are pretty good. I have floss, ribbon , and most everything else already. Including beads.

meggie said...

Just caught up on your last few posts. Thanks for sharing the pics of the lovely quilts. A joy, when I dont get to see many shows.

Mary said...

You know I'm obsessed with Doll quilts right now - I was hoping for pictures when you said you finished quilting 3 of them!

I'm ready to start another one but I'm going to make myself finish the bindings on two quilts, and work on a couple other projects first.

woof nanny said...

I like this gradation of color too. I wish flickr would size thier pics bigger though. Yeah, I know you can click on 'em, but you'd think they'd give us a bigger image. I upload manually unless it's 'blog this' from another person, but then blogger doesn't do horizontals well. Grrr.
(don't mind me, it's a gazillion degrees here...)

YankeeQuilter said...

The seascape is very interesting. For some reason it takes me as long to put binding on a quilt as it does for me to sew the quilt top. Binding aversion maybe?! Good luck with yours!!

Marisa said...

That quilt certainly is inspirational. Wow. I wish it was mine! It would look great in my house...thanks for keeping the inspiration flowing.

atet said...

What a fun quilt -- and it sounds like you got a bunch done. Now, if I could just get back to my sewing!!!

Shelina said...

Amy you're right the seascape is wonderful. A great way to show texture with color and shape. Good job on getting the quilting done! I'm glad you've been able to keep the productive streak going.