Thursday, August 23, 2007

Chinese Coins/Pile of Sheckels/Use up those leftovers!

Mary has been on a roll making Chinese Coins quilts. (Just one example of many...)

One of my first quilts to get long armed was a Chinese Coins quilt called "Pile of Sheckels" - sorry no photo...

I thought I was going to make this into a Chinese Coins quilt too,

freshcut scraps

but a few things got in my way...

1. cutting the strips to separate the pieced rows. (I need to do that for another pile of freshcut rows)
2. the piles would be on their sides...
3. well the first one was the main one...

Adding the squares and long pieces was on purpose - a design element if you will...

So I just sewed them up as they are last night...

I am happy enough with it even if it is not as I envisioned (I was going to say planned - but if you haven't figured it out yet - I don't plan much....) it.

(I might add 1 more row - I trimmed as I pieced the rows together & I had some squares and long pieces that did not make it into this mix.... I guess it depends on how well the remainders play together.)

8 comments:

Shelina said...

Wow, Amy, you have certainly been the Piecing Queen, haven't you? The last three posts are all different little tiny pieces sewn together! Great job!

Libby said...

I like your version.

Juliann in WA said...

You are on a roll! I really love the taupe tumblers and this one with the freshcut squares - wonderful stuff.

Mary said...

I like it, the longer strips in there add a lot of interest. I have now finished 3 of 4 Chinese Coins quilts, just have the 4th one to quilt BUT still have lots more donated coins so I'll be piecing more tops here in the near future.

Rian said...

It's very pretty. I like the name--Pile of Schekels.

Morah said...

Pile of sheckels...too cute!

Jules said...

This is my kind of quilt! I love it. Hope school is going well for you this semester. I love the emails you have been sending. A very nice diversion from my hectic real life.

atet said...

Ooooh...I LOVE what you did with your Fresh Cut scraps. It's lovely!