Friday, August 24, 2007

cat...

Cat - How many forms?

Cats - 2 living cats Rhapsody & RB This is how they spend their day. Do you see the flannel cat print on that rag quilt?

Cat Charm quilt - 2nd top pieced last night - I still need to trim it & measure it - but it is all in one piece! The other has been done done for a few years.

cat fabrics - far too many to admit to - but I love them & use them.

cat fabrics sub-category -
Halloween
Not my favorite holiday, I definately do not like the scary bits... I used to not buy halloween prints, but the cat charm quilt told me that I needed to buy Halloween prints fo rthe little black cats - Luckily I got a bunch at a quilter's yard sale at $2 per yard - of the good stuff.

So I decided to "USE IT UP" (The Halloween portion of the cat stash, that is - for the most part...)

I mentioned the yard sale, so I got some good sized pieces...
Those that I could, I turned into fat quarters.
When at the LQS, I purchased fat quarters - after chopping out a cat - they were obviously no longer fat quarters - but I digress...
When in shops that do not cut fat quarters, I usually bought 1/2 yards - so I could have a fat quarter - I finally started to get long quarters - I am not so happy with those pieces - they are not very "useable" IMHO.

ASIDE: My GF is a Halloween fan, so I traded some non-cat halloween print fat quarters with her for my fat quarters minus a cat charm. So we get the variety without the expense - win-win. (Hey I know about "win-win" before I even step into my Negotiations class - next Tuesday.)

Here are the results of my efforts:
Halloween 1 Halloween 2 Halloween 3
3 Halloween quilts.
Back story... I decided to do YBR (I regularly mess up that pattern...) This time, my first fat quarter I cut the "wrong way."
I cut the rest the "right way" but some of the fat quarters were fatter than necessary, so I had strips left over. I also had long quarters - so I had strips there as well & I had fat quarters that were missing a cat, so I was able to make strips from that as well, but I am getting aead of myself....
In the begining I was going to make a Queen sized quilt...
But then I realized that you use more fabric making 2 twins - so I changed the plans mid-stream.
Then I realized that in the quest to get "X" number of different cats for the cat charm quilt, I got a scary Halloween print.

So I started to sort....
I have never liked the YBR block that has the two big rectangles - so I set them in Pile "A" with all of the scary prints. I started Pile "B" with the prints that I actually like. Then I counted...
I needed more blocks, so I turned the "extra" long skinny strips into Rail Fence blocks. I put most of them into Pile "A" - (I was going to send that quilt out to charity & wanted it big enough for a tall guy.) Pile "B" needed more blocks - so I cut big squares out of some of the fat quarters that were missing a cat & out of some prints that did not make it into the "USE IT UP" pile for one reason or another.

& then they sat....

So the two piles sat on the arms of my arm chair... (My husband requested that I clean up Studio 2B a bit...)

So I counted again & made the Pile A into an 8x8 arrangement.
I then counted Pile B & "thought" that I needed a few more big squares....
I ended up with 60 - 6 x 10 was too skinny & long. So I made it 6 x 8 & decided to use the last 12 to make a baby sized quilt. Pile B & the baby quilt will get a border (eventually).

If you got this far (thanks)
back to CAT

cat-egory:
Asian - I think I may have found someone who will love & use my Asian fabrics, you see I am not so fond of the ones that I used to really like - now that I am in like with Taupe. (But I do have a few UFO's out of the older stuff to satiate my desires when they arise to use them.)

Pieced cat quilt - I need to get back to it now that I have a great border idea and know how to write "Cat" in a lot of different languages...

Appliqued cat quilt - I need to get back to that as well, maybe on the plane to Houston? Israel? The Caribbean? Lets just say that if I am not finished with it by the end of February - I have a lot of explaining to do...

UMPTEEN other cat quilt ideas...

9 comments:

martha said...

wheres the doll quilt? I don't see the doll quit:)

Greenmare said...

Oh I just love your pretty cats! Siamese always look sooooo elegant, no matter what they are doing.
I am a big cat fan also, and I can honestly say your quilts are in a CATagory of their own, very fun!
I've been playing with an idea for a cat quilt too, I think I'll call it sCATegories.
;-)

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Enjoyeed your Halloween quilts. The freshcut "sheckels" looks good, you are making the most of that range.....don't need any more of that to finish anything? That, i have! Tracey

Helen in the UK said...

Love seeing your Halloween cat quilts - all those wonderful cat prints :)

GRACE said...

not finished by the end of February? cat-astrophic!

cityquilter grace

Yvonne said...

Your kitties are pretty...love the halloween quilts.

Alycia said...

I love the Halloween quilts. DS2 and I made one and quilted it with glow in the dark thread - turned out spooooky *grin*

meggie said...

Your real cats are just beautiful!
Quilts are nice too, of course!

mamaspark said...

Your quilts are Catastic! I love Halloween so of course I love your quilts!