Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Did I tell you?

Once upon a time ago, when we first purchased our Condo, we replaced most of the appliances. The laundry unit stacks in the kitchen in our unit. The old one started to go bad about a month or so ago, my husband figured out how to make it work using the delicate cycle & spinning it twice... So we went shopping for a washer/dryer. To begin we did not want the apartment sized model that we had - laundry was going all the time with just two people. Second, we only have 26.5 inches in which to place a new washer dryer unit. Most of them are 27 inches... So we found one at Sears & the sales lady looking at the brochure assured us that it would fit, so we ordered it. When it came in, it did not fit - luckily we figured that out before they took it off the truck. So what to do... In the mean time, the dryer quit getting hot, so we have been doing weekely jaunts to the laundromat - FUN, NOT!

There are very few options for our space... (we have granite couter tops and the dishwasher is right next to where the washer dryer goes, so there was no make the space bigger option available.)

Third "issue" the old unit used gas for the dryer and 110 volts for the electric. Gas is only available with the apartment sized unit in our size range, so we had to hire an electrician to give us two 220 electrical boxes, one for the washer & one for the dryer.

Yesterday, our new washer/dryer was installed. We got it in stainless to match the other appliances.

I am so happy not to have to go to the laundromat again...

15 comments:

Quilt Pixie said...

it can be so time consuming to replace time saving appliances! Glad you were finally able to find (and get installed) one that will suit you :-) Whatever shall you do with the time you're not running to laundromat now???? (hehehe)

McIrish Annie said...

there is nothing worse than going to the laundramat! Doing laundry is traumatic enuf without having to leave the house to do it!

Meow to your kitties!

Libby said...

Oh what joy! I remember when we lived in a condo rental that had gas only and our dryer was electric. After a couple of years of hauling wet clothes to the laundromat we got permission from the owner to have 220 wiring installed at our expense. As the electrician was muttering under his breath during the estimate we heard $450, stopped him there and went to buy a gas dryer *s*

Gail said...

What a bother! I hate spaces that weren't planned with future needs anticipated. Glad you finally found something that works for you. Enjoy it (well, enjoy NOT going to laudromat)

Sweet P said...

I have going to the laundromat. We've been condo shopping and it's amazing to me how many new build condos we've looked at the don't have washer/dryer in the unit. Instead there are laundry rooms. What do they think they're selling? Apartments?

Holly said...

Very nice! I didn't know w/d's came in stainless. My dryer is on the same path as yours... it won't be long and I'll be looking for something new. Have fun playing with your new toys :)

meggie said...

Laundry is just a pain, no matter how it is done. But lots of time can be used for something better, if you can do it at home!

Karen said...

So glad you don't have to go to the laundromat anymore, Amy.

Ruth's Place said...

Glad your days of treking to the laundromat are over! Beautiful new washer and dryer.

Love the blue and white blocks on the previous post too.

Shelina said...

I'm glad you got the laundry situation figured out. I'd hate to go running to the laundromat too, although really, you would have to sit and applique something while you were waiting for the laundry to get done.

Kay said...

It's a nightmare to replace appliances, isn't it? My range is dying, and I have been putting off replacing it, because I think it's going to require some major redoing in the kitchen. I guess it's time anyway, but I hate that sort of stuff.

woof nanny said...

Ooh nice choice! Ugh to the laundromat. I used to go to one by the beach until a homeless guy came in and slept on the counter. Later, my boyfriend at the time and I would go to a different place that was hooked up to a convenience store. That was pretty cool--lots of snacks and video games. There used to be a Duds and Suds place here too that served beer. Made the time pass quicker.

Morah said...

I hate the laundromat!!!! It was ever so much fun (many, many years ago) with a baby and being pregnant! I felt like I was queen of the world when we finally replaced our broken units. It never has taken much to make me over the top happy!

Ms. Jan said...

We got our Miele a month ago and are absolutely in love with it! I'm amazed at how it has cut drying time down with its more efficient spin cycle. You will love this!

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

It's nice to have lovely new appliances. When I built this house 2 years ago I bought all nice things - I have a Meile oven. Do you not have anywhere you can dry clothes naturally? Car space, balcony? I would hate to have to use a dryer.