Tuesday, June 19, 2007

This gonna get me in trouble, but here goes...

Starting on Wednesday, one of my LQS's is going to be closed for painting. So for yesterday & today they are offering 20% off - the more they sell, the less they have to move...

So I bought some thread, a new thimble - the leather one that I use for hand quilting got is not working anymore - the needle kept getting stuck in the seam, and a pack of needles. You see I carry a tin pencil case for my English Paper Piecing to go project. All of my needles must have fallen out at one point or another - but then again that original package of needles dates back to my infancy in quilting... (When I thought was going to do it all by hand... O.K. you can stop laughing! As I am expecting a quilt to be on its way back from the long armer any day now.)

All in all I bought inexpensive items on sale, so it is not bad.

So I did not get to try out the skin saver yet... Since it is supposed to get to 96 degrees Farenheit with TOOO much humidity, I will be staying in my office and doing EPP during lunch. - But I don't prick my finger in the same manner when doing EPP as when hand quilting... (When I prick my self doing EPP - it is a complete accident, instead of feeling for the needle to know that I made it through the 3 layers of the quilt when quilting.)

11 comments:

Libby said...

Ahhh - I remember the days when I thought a pack of 20 needles would be a lifetime supply *s* The leather thimble is my favorite for regular stitches (applique, binding) I finally had to give it up for quilting. Now I've moved on to the metal model.

Vicky aka stichr said...

since i like to use a doll needle to hand quilt with pearl cotton, i tend to end up with holes in my finger tip *vbg*

my hands don't like the bitty needles anymore, so size does matter.

Wendy said...

I never learned how to use a thimble so when I'm appliqueing a lot I get a hole in my finger...from the non pointy end...ouch.

paula, the quilter said...

I guess typing has given me some calluses because I've recently been appliquéing without a thimble.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I use as tailor's thimble, open on top, it's perfect for me since I use the side of the thimble anyway to push and my finger doesn't get all hot and sweaty (side benefit!) I wonder of the skin saver isn't clear nail polish... or why that (nail polish) wouldn't work.

Shelina said...

Those sales are dangerous, but you did very well to avoid all the different potholes! Our LQS has a coupon book, and these two weeks the coupon is for feet for the sewing machine. Since the ones they carry don't fit my machine, I am safe for these two weeks.

Marisa said...

Despise the awesome fabric sale. Small house/small quilt area beware. Hope you have more storage than I do!! Sounds like some serious fun!

Quilting Pirate said...

OOOOOOOOOOO where?! I could use something new and I'm off tomorrow!

Thursday our shop has FQ's for $1 :D

Quilting Pirate said...

doh reread the post and realized I missed the sale...le sigh!

Gail said...

I too started out thinking I would do it all by hand. I tend to be a purist. HA! not any more, too many fabrics, too many patterns, too many wonderful techniques to try- I'd never get any dne if I did it by hand.

Mamma C said...

Dang! I just found your blog so I missed the LQS sale! I'm up in Germantown, so I assume it must have been a LQS that would have been a reasonable drive. I am supposed to be on a fabric diet and only working from my stash, but who can resist a sale?

Carrie
http://www.queenoframbles.com/quilting