Friday, June 22, 2007

On quilting & blogging

The questions are courtesy of the Quilting Pirate. Since the subject is on my mind - I am going to blog it (again).
1. Do you make your own binding or purchase it? Both - Although I have not purchased the bias tape that is available at JoAnnes in a very long time... But at the QU quilt show, there was somethign "new to me" Lollypops - have you heard of them? She takes commercially available fabrics (I got some to go with my Loralie cats) & a black & white batik. It is packaged in a manner that is reminiscent of an old fashioned lollypop... (Loralie is a hyperlink, If you want to see the cats - the binding looks just like the background - pink & white stripe - I have 2 ufos for this fabric...)
2. Do you sew on your own binding or let the longarm machiner do it? 99% long armer...
3. Double fold binding or Single fold binding? Long armers choice - so far 100% double
4. Have you ever done strips/plaids on a bias binding? No, but I have used stripes that are printed on the bias to achieve the same effect.
5. Have you ever made binding on a scallop edge? No, but now that I have seen it done on Sewing with Nancy, I am not so intimidated by the concept...

I have just gone through the 100 blogs of the Doll Quilt Swap II swappers. All I can say is I LOVE BLOGLINES - going through a mess of blogs that have not been updated since the last time I looked (or the last couple of times that I have looked) reminded me of how nice bloglines is - even when it burps or acts annoying. OH & there are some neat sneak peaks out there...

Squaring up - I just realized that I may have been straightening, more that squaring...

4 comments:

Rian said...

Interesting questions. And answers--I have never used commercial binding. I like your oxymoron, "mellow dramatic."

Quilting Pirate said...

OOO I like the lollipop creative idea! What a great idea to create and give to a secret sister!

Sweet P said...

I like that cat fabric.

I signed up for the Doll Quilt swap, but haven't heard anything. Can you tell me if my blog is listed? CoffeeTimeQuiltstudio?

Deb R said...

Aaaaah, quilting. I remember quilting. I might even do it again someday! I'm going to pretend I've sewed lately and list my answers here.

1. Make my own
2. Sew my own (I've never sent a quilt out for quilting, so...)
3. Always double fold on bed quilts, whim-of-the moment on wall quilts
4. Frequently. I LOVE using stripes and plaids for bias binding.
5. Yep. It was a total PITA.

Thanks for letting me indulge myself and feel all quiltified for a moment, Amy. :-)