Wednesday, June 20, 2007

On being a fanatical cat fabric collector

So as I previously mentioned, equilter sent me a coupon. (THANKS! Equilter.)

When I look at equilter, I start by typing "cats" into the search box. ("Cat" includes category - so use the plural.) Luckily (that is up for debate) I have quite a few of the cats being offered, or I don't really care for them - which is a big step for me, to not buy the ones that I don't really like a lot. So I add several to my order - just to see how bad it can be... GULP. I even found a fat cat template... A tool to help me use what I have, how novel... But the urge to get new kitties it to darn strong...
After looking at "Cats" I look at the Animal-Cat category, quite a bit of overlap, but not as much as you would think, considering it is an official category & not just a word being searched. I then look at "Kitty." on equilter, Hello Kitty is only under kitty - but there is some over lap & some interesting "hits" like the cowgirls named, Kitty. :o) Finally I look up Kitten... This is where the "hidden kitties" are usually hiding... Like "Peas and Carrots" (A popular MODA line of fabric) has a print that has kids playing with a couple kittens & a victorian doodads inspired print includes some kittens, etc.
equilter did not have the cat print that I saw (& WANT) by Michael Miller = the bad cats... (Yes, I want all 3 color versions...)

So I started out wondering what I could possibly buy with my coupon to making my decision the 3 colors of the peas and carrots hidden kitties prints... (That means, that the toile, the birthday kitty prints, the needlework divas, and the playful kitties on chocolate brown are staying at equilter.) So I will get $12.75 worth of fabric for $2.75 +shipping... Not bad for 1.5 yards, huh?

8 comments:

Quilt Pixie said...

at least you know what theme many of your quilts will include! My collection ranges far and wide it seems, so its hard to "browse" fabric on line there are just too many options....

Laurie Ann said...

I like those MM paw prints. They are on my list to add to my dog collection. Lots of times when I search for "Dog" I get dogwoods. :) I never thought of searching for "puppies". Thanks for the tip.

Melzie said...

OMGOSH I must have that chocolate brown print that is delish ;) Very nice stuff there thank God I dont have a credit card LOLOL xoxo melzie

sophie said...

Wow. You're a pro at finding things on e-quilter. I saw that fat cat template at Mary Jo's in NC when I was there last spring. My own cats must be having an influence on me because I was tempted.

Quilting Pirate said...

OOO ahhh!! I too collect kitty prints! Have you seen the Paris Kitties, they are just soo adorable!

I like that template, might have to add it to my "wish list" for next pay period!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Good advice, you done good, too. ;)

Marisa said...

That's a very cool deal. Way to go, smart shopper!

Della said...

We really must be related. I buy cat fabric all the time. And yes I looked at everything you did. I really, really need that cat template. Am just finishing a "cat" quilt. Still have the binding to do. It should be on my blog within a week if you want to see it. Have a great day.