Tuesday, June 12, 2007

More from Annapolis

I have recently become more attracted to log cabin quilts... So I keep snapping them at quilt shows...
twisting log cabin Twisting log cabin - I love the quilting & the brown...
red court house steps Courthouse steps is a log cabin variation - Mine using Freshcut fabrics is pieced to the top stage... :o)
pineapplePineapple is another log cabin variation - though not one that I see myself doing...
log cabin 2Straight furrows - limited number of fabrics, limited pallette - Can you see this in Taupe? (Yes, those fabrics are taupe-y, but in reality I thing they are 80's-ish calicoes...)
log cabin 1Log Cabin star - super scrappy - great value control. This is not a good candidate for very medium prints (very medium kind of includes light dark and dark light tee hee...) Can you tell that I have been sorting according to value recently?
log cabinBarn Raising variation, blue & blue - I really like the quilting - you can "see" it in the light sections...
bright quilt"Not" courthouse steps...
bright block see? (big squares and 4 rectangle units. I think this uses the principle that is the basis for Successful Scrap Quilts from Simple Rectangles by Rolfe & Turner + the big square. The fabric placement make the overall design. I am going to do this with my Jan Mullen prints - should I limit my pallette or go scrappy?)

8 comments:

Lisa K. said...

I love the not-a-courthouse! You don't have to cut up your nice fabrics so much, and you use less because there are few seams!

Shelina said...

Amy, stop it already! You are going to make me add log cabins to the to-do list too. I really like the red courthouse steps.

Jeanne said...

I love log cabins made with small logs. As Mary Ellen Hopkins says, "they are more handsomer." Thanks for the show.

swooze said...

Executive summaries! YUCKY POO POO POO!!

Yes I hate the oppinionated. They do drive away new quilters. Nicer to see the value in something, technique, color, style, pattern. I too am a log cabin lover! Strip style quilts in general!

paula, the quilter said...

I like the pineapple one. I think between the two of us we can get Shelina's to do list super long! I have found that you can't change another's narrow minded view so I do the southern thing and say: "Yada, yada, yada. Bless your heart, you mean well."

Doodlebug Gail said...

Amy I am just loving all these photos you're sharing. The "not a courthouse" is intriguing - I need to put that into EQ and play with it.

Also like the black and white challenge quilts - quite amazing to see the different colours quilter's have added - my favourite would be the turquoise one.

Debra Spincic said...

Do you have any idea the size of the square & rectangle in the not a courthouse steps quilt? I think that might be a good one for my son's food quilt.

Norma said...

I also love log cabin quilts. I really like the setting of the star log cabin. I don't think I have enough variety in my "lights" to pull this one of though. I like the bright quilt that looks like courthouse steps. What are the dimensions of the blocks? Did I read somewhere that the square is 5"?