Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I wasn't gonna...

Post again today - something about saving something for tomorrow... But I have 1.5 hours to "kill." I hate that mentality, but there you have it. (I am officially waiting for my supervisor to finish reviewing a file... & I am officially tired of editing my paper. Anyone want to write an executive summary? No, I don't either.)

So I am going to rant a bit about the quilt show in Annapolis... It has been on my mind since I was there & have chatted about it with my friend - so is in agreement... This goes beyond the quilt show to local shops...

The White Glover (I can't call this on a lady - based on her attitude, & some other issues...), I know they have a place... This one was actually knowledgeable, but when someone is standing there with a camera & you are just discussing why a hand quilter does not quilt on the actual applique - can't you move over a bit? I had to ask her to move (the ladies she was lecturing - she really did go beyond just an explaination - even stepped aside, they knew I wanted to take a quick snap.) - I am ususally very patient & wait (& wait)... This happened near one of those Album quilt shat I shared yesterday.

I ran into her again near this quilt:
snowball
Her comment was that this style was "trendy" with new quilters. The tone and scowl left no question that "trendy" was a bad adjective... How did she expect to get new people into quilting - women her age are not going to live forever... (Sorry, from her appearance, I made an estimate on her age 60 if not 70+. I am not agist, but I am against narrow &/or closed mindedness. It is o.k. for you -her- to like 1 thing or just super traditional things, but not at the expense of bad talking other things...)

Luckily that was near the end of the show - I can't imagine what she though about this one...
B9P

How this relates to local quilt shops... 99% of them can not carry everything. We all know of some that are definately catering to one style/crowd. What are shops to do? Do they carry the "trendy" fabrics, trying to lure new quilters in to the shop? What if their "bread & butter" clients are not into those prints... Should geographic locations have quilt shops choose styles... That way if you are into 30's you go to shop X, Batiks shop Y? No that isn't really feasible... I knwo I don't want to go to hin & yon to shop for a piece of fabric that may or may not be in stock... But they also should not question their clients who purchase online... Ah online shopping the bane of local quilt shop owners... you see without leaving your chair, you can search & usually find exactly what you are looking for - & it may even be less expensive that the stuff available locally...

Case in point, I want Katie Jump Rope (love the tumbler quilt) by Denyse Schmidt (Have you seen her "pattern" in the current Quilter's Newsletter Magazine? I bought the book - the magazine has paper piecing - vs. templates in the book & the magazine uses printed fabrics - her fabrics - vs. the solids in the book...) - I even know right now how I would use it - but so far it is not in any of my local shops.

Aside: the QNM also has an article on my lovely taupes... That is why I bought the magazine... Over all I am not happy with their "new"format...

Quandry - do I state the names of the quilt shops? (I am going to use their initials...)

I know not to check S. E. - they usually sell overstocks - it was a great place to go when I wanted Jan Mullen Prints a year or two after they were in my local quilt shops... That is also THE place to go for 30's prints... I also know not to go to B. P. - they carry a more Thimbleberries style of fabric... S. S. probably would not get it - but they do have a rather wide selections style wise - even if they only have a few bolts from most lines... C. Q. is another that "might" have gotten it but then again, that is hit or miss. G. S. may eventually get some of it - very hit or miss. J. B.'s shop only carries J. B. fabric. M. G. in the most likely location for me to get it locally, but I am not sure that I want to drive that far to find out... There is another shop that I have seen vend at a couple local shows that might carry it, but then again, do I want to drive there to not find it? (Maybe if my friend is up to it - they did have some other cool stuff - like that paint by number bird print that I was gaga about a few months ago...) You see all of the local shops have a place - they just don't seem to fit my current "wants." There are other local shops that I don't frequent, that I have only been to once or twice & some of them a while ago (I did the whole quilt shop hop several years ago - I did not win anything, so I do not have the positive reinforcement to do it again. I'd rather spend my gas going to the big shows - Like the one in Hershey at the end of July.), so they are not listed here - not that I was trying to purport a complete list...

So what am I left to do? Well right now I am hoping to find a FQ bundle at Houston - or there are a few shops on the internet... (I am not going to buy enough to have any one shop carry it for me... - Unless they can just buy a fq bundle... Oh wait a minute, Husband said, "No." When I asked if we could send his Momma to Purl Patchwork in Soho to buy me a bundle...) if it were a Moda brand and available as a charm pack - I would own 1 if not 2 - do you hear me fabric manufacturers... is that a Moda only thing - do they have the rights to the idea on selling charms from their fabric lines - what about Jelly Rolls - I am so suprised how well those are doing! There is a bit of sticker shock there, but the ability to take it home & start sewing is GREAT! - No, I don't prewash - often. I have to prewash my bolt of Kona Snow- it had a vinegar smell - which is better that some other smells, but too much when you plan to start right in cutting strips!

45 minutes to go...

9 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I'm not sure that narrow-mindedness has an "age". Sometimes, that's just the way it is. I'm not making excuses or apologies but merely stating that everything is subjective and it won't be anything else as long as people (with opinions) are part of the deal.This has been a thorn in my side and my cross to bear for a long time. I've become a champion for the "less tried and true" way to do things. Hey-- no guts, no glory.

Della said...

I'm in awe of how many quilt shops you can frequent in your area. I have two, each one at least an hour from my home, in different directions. Count your blessings..

Libby said...

A HUGE pet peeve of mine is people who refuse to acknowledge the space they take up in the universe and how that affects others. For self-preservation I have developed a slightly sassy yet polite 'Excuse me' then I just plow on through.
Narrow-mindedness is just that - a lack of care beyond one's personal realm (see above) While I may not enjoy every fabric style or color choice I am always open to enjoying and admiring the careful work that goes into a project. As for fabric shops, I too am blessed with an abundance of choice. I try to spread the wealth and shop everywhere even if I just buy a spool of thread with the exception of one shop that have a very rude owner and is not worthy of my business - even if she had the only shop around.
Okay - off my soap box *s* Hope you have used up all your time.

Jeanne said...

Oh, my, that last one is gorgeous! How sad that someone could be so narrow-minded about such beauty. So what it if doesn't fit the traditional style of quilting? It's called "progressing". We aren't knitting, weaving or crocheting (or sewing, for that matter) anything like they used to, either. And that's great, IMHO. Thank you for posting those for us to enjoy!

jovaliquilts said...

I hear your frustration. When I was a teenager I had a pillow that had the saying, "I love mankind; it's people I can't stand." When I have to deal with some people, that phrase leaps to mind.

I live in much too rural an area (for my taste), but the quilt shops seem to cooperate a bit. I came in looking to match a particular fabric I needed more of, and the owner explained that they didn't carry that line because another quilt shop, half an hour away, had it. She said they try to carry different things since neither can carry everything. I thought it was amazingly cooperative of them.
Cheri

Sarah said...

Found you via Melly & Me - couldn't agree more with you and Libby, just because something isn't your taste doesn't mean it's not good - as a shop owner I often bemoan the fact that I can't stock ALL of the fabrics I like.

goneaussiequilter said...

Talking about opinions towards "new" fabrics, go to quilthome.com and have a look at the commentary on the right side in regards to the Amy Butler Charm collection! I was amazed to read the strong opinions towards this line of fabric! I do think that there needs to be flexibility and an open-mindedness to the fabrics we use.
By the way, I just got Katie jump rope in the mail today! LOVE IT! ZandS fabrics is a wonderful online store. I understand wanting to support local though, just over here local is 3 hours away!

Tracey said...

I want the Katie Jump Rope fabrics too, but haven't seen them locally yet. If I can't find them, I'll buy online (Equilter most likely). If you want to check the local shops but don't feel like driving, why not just call them on the telephone and ask them if they have them or will be getting them? It would save the time/gas money/hassle of aimlessly driving around.

Kay said...

Interesting topic. I agree that there should be room for all tastes, but I know very well from my guilds that this isn't true, although people are polite about it generally.
I was interested in the comment about the Amy Butler fabrics; I don't like them either, but I don't think that makes me narrow minded. You can't like everything, right? But anyone else that likes them is welcome :)