Friday, June 22, 2007

Ask a quilter (or group of quilters) and get a million answers

A bit mellow dramatic, no. (It isn't really Mellow Dramatic, is it? tee hee - I'm leaving it anyway.)
I got the range of answers...
Couple of things about me & this project:
no hoop - I am doing the Georgia Bonesteel method, excpet that I am not doing it 1 block at a time.
I don't worry about ruffles - they don't bother me...
Squareing up - great concept, but one that I rarely bother with... I did square up my doll quilts, but then Nancy (Of Sewing with Nancy fame) told me that I should not trim the batting and backing until after the binding is attached - oops. So far it has worked out o.k. anyway. Two of them are 3/4 of the way bound completely & all.

Most - as in 99% of my quilts are done by long armers & then 99.9% of those get the bindings attached by the long armer - so she is doing any squaring as she trims to attach the binding...

My biggest concern - is if I bind it first (& I will) will it be finished before its time? Good possibility in general - with me, but I am going to quilt the courthouse steps 1/4 inch in from each seam, so I have fixed that problem, on this quilt.

Thanks for all of the answers - it was fun to see all of the different opinions.

A happy snap from last night:
my turn I was adding a bit more quilting (going around a few of those red squares in a random manner) - after I hand finished 3/4 of the binding, when my big helper decided that it was time for him to have a nap in my lap - ending my quilting time...

4 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Love the oxymoronic "mellow dramatic"!

I was taught to sew the binding on before trimming the batting and backing, but I don't usually do it that way. It's a bit of a pain.

Cheri

Quilting Pirate said...

I see the kitty have a perfect comfy spot :D

jovaliquilts said...

Me again -- just put on a binding today without trimming the batting and backing first, and it was great! I think I'll keep doing it. Give it a try, you might prefer it. I was a total beginner when I first tried it, which may explain why I found it to be a pain.
Cheri

meggie said...

I Always bind after the quilting.
but I would NEVER be the quilt police about this.. go your own way!!