Friday, June 22, 2007

3rd post is the charm

During my little luncheon respite, I worked on my travel EPP (Ping) project. Quilt Otaku (Have you been to her blog, she is a Doll Quilt I & II Swapper, go take a look, I'll be waiting.) pointed out that the new Pireuds are being sold as 6 inch charms... Bless their little hearts & my pocketbook - No I haven't purchased mine yet - but I will... I just know how I am... Maybe after payday?

So I am revisiting the Taupe Snowball idea - no idea what I am talking about? Take a look here:
Taupe Snowball.

So my question: if the main part of the snowball is 6 inches, how big are the small squares that you use to make sew-n-flip triangles? 2.5 inches?

Any bets on wether or not I cut into my nice neat stack of Taupes this weekend? :o) I have been frozen on this subject, even though I have seen quite a few ideas on how to use them successfully... & It's not like the ideas I have are beyond my abilities - therefore a waste of my precious taupe fabric. Heck I am contemplating a snowball block, for Petes sake! & the Isotaupe ( free pattern, I have seen it done with florals - I think it would be great as scrappy - I have seen it with 1 fabric for the cross hatches...) pattern in QNM isn't any harder, nor is County Lines... (Lynn's may look Japanese, mine can be... I even have a Kona Brown...) Maybe my big problem is that I have too many idea for one selection of fabric? HMMMMM No that is definately worth pondering.

Back on the Ping subject... Take a look at what Martha did with hers. So now I am thinking, I can place my ping EPP parts on the mediums instead of the lights and use the lights on the snowball quilt... (Not serious - yet. I am also seeing if I can follow through with a pattern/BOM 100% - I doubt it, because I have already decided to remove the button inserts for the center circles...) I guess the main determinant will be my taupes & how many lights I have...

13 comments:

Lisa K. said...

Something in the back of my brain thinks it might be 2-7/8" but he's been wrong before, so I'd do a test Block :o) Let me know! I want to do a snowball quilt, too!

Quilting Pirate said...

I want to do a Ping Project - it's gorgeous! I'm dedicated to clear up my UFO's first...no new projects for a long time...though I have bookmarked Pinwheels site for future purchases :D

I don't know what the squares should be, but I think you are right.

Mel said...

Would a snowball be different proportions from a "melon ball"? I found a note I had made about a very traditional melon ball quilt - which looks very similar - and the big squares were 4-1/2" and the small ones were 1-1/2. So that'd be a 4:1 ratio finished, I guess. It may be that most snowballs have larger corner squares, though.

I do like the Isotaupes quilt - I have also seen that pattern done in florals, but I like the taupes better. I still have NO idea what I'm doing with my taupes. I probably have a while to think about it, though; I'm not going to be ready to actually do it any time soon, anyway.

atet said...

I really like the taupes in the snowball pattern, something about it looks very modern and serene to me. Not sure what the ratio is, but have you done a search online? Or tried going to the library for a quilt block book? Those might help.

Gail said...

Quilters Cache has a snowball, using 6.5" sq and a 2.5". In their case, they put 4 of these together to form a 12 " finished block. Love those taupes.....stop tempting me.

Andi said...

I like the Isotaupe better than the snowballs, in case you were taking a poll! I love martha's ping - can't wait to see your version!

Marisa said...

Glad you like the taupe link, and thanks for the mention of my blog. My name's Marisa...and I'm a Taupe-a-holic....I suppose it's better than some additions out there, but I'll admit that I'm off to the fabric shop later this afternoon to look for another fix. That snowball is so rockin. You make me want to do one! - Marisa, Quilt Otaku

Lauri said...

Hey! I'm doing the Doll Quilt Swap also...did the first one as well. This is the first time I've been to your blog and I really like it. But you are making me feel guilty...guess I'll have to go take a 'sneak peek' picture of the doll quilt! lol!

Sue "Sioux" Seibert said...

What wonderful ideas for quilts!

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

I like the Isotaupes best I think.

Shelina said...

It sounds like you have many great ideas for the taupes. Make a decision already and cut into them. If you are making doll quilts, you will be able to make one of each of your patterns. And if you run out of fabric, you will just have another excuse to go shopping.
Cut! Cut! cut!

Niki said...

Just poppin' by to say HI. I'm on the Q4P blogring as well ;) Love your blog!

meggie said...

Just had fun reading your last 3 posts. I love to read you & check out your links.

Then of course there are your lovely quilts...