Friday, May 11, 2007

quilty post...

I started working on Plain Spoken again.
plain spoken in progress
225 of these blocks are now sewn into rows.

I'd like to share a secret about my method. For this sepcific quilt you see several different greens, peaches, and berries. It may not be as apparent, but there are also two different widths of rectangles. So I cut the two different width in strips for strip piecing. I should not have fat quartered my half yards first - but I did & it is working out fine - I just have scraps that I can not justify tossing... Then I sewed skinny to fat randomly, trying not to duplicate my strip sets or to create opposites. ( did not want light skinny peach with light fat green & then light skinny green with light fat peach - ya know what I mean? Then I sub cut. Then I stacked trying very hard to not have any like colors touching in the stack. If the first block was light peach and light green, the next block could not have either light peach or light green. So that when I got to the part that I did last night - sewing the blocks into rows - I would have the individual fabrics separated. I do have chunks of green, but not chunks of light green.

Now for the "design floor" portion of my method. I will layout 2 rows and try to make sure that the same skinnies or fatties are not next to each other - again greens can touch, I just do want light green to touch light green. I continue with that method until I have all of my rows in pairs of 2, then I try again making groups of four rows, etc.

So far using this method, I have been fairly successful.

I hope my morning ramble was at least entertaining... A peek into the mind of a crazy lady.

14 comments:

Hedgehog said...

Looking good. I just love that Modern Quilt workshop book. I made 2.5 quilts from it last summer. I really should dig out that .5 someday soon.....

flippytale Quilter said...

The colors are delicious! I like your fonts too! I can dig you sharing your "secret", I like complicated rules like that for my own stuff. Keep on going! It looks great!

quiltpixie said...

its coming along wonderfully. It sounds like you've done lots of planning to ensure a good colour distribution and I know the final product will be wonderfully balanced for all your thoughtfulness :-)

Libby said...

Not crazy - just organized. Ahh, the wonders of the design floor *s*

Nancy said...

Love the way this is coming together. And I enjoyed your ramble. :-) It's the same way i would have tackled assembling this quilt.

Gail said...

Crazy lady??? nah, whatever works- and this is certainly working well. Love the colors!

Rian said...

It's a veritable fruit salad.

swooze said...

It looks good. Just makes my head hurt thinking about that planning. Keep it up!

Laura said...

I love this! The colors are fabulous together. I printed a picture off for my little inspiration book. Thanks for sharing!

Samantha said...

I really need to get back to that book... I love it so much!

Shelina said...

I think it is great to peek into your mind! Very smart of you to strip piece this rather than sewing rectangles. And your method is probably very close to what I would have done too, just trying to keep a good balance, while still maintaining the randomness quality.

atet said...

You're not crazy at all -- um, I've used similar methods myself to get things to actually look "random". Love the way this quilt is looking.

Marisa said...

These are yummy colors. Looking forward to seeing how you will quilt this and what color thread you plan to use. Think I'd have a tough time picking that one out.

Sweet P said...

I can understand your process. I've used it before when making quilts. I love your choice of colors.