Thursday, May 03, 2007

Purple (again) & the stashbuster topic of the week.

More wisteria can be seen at black berry creek (lovely photo, BTW).

Meanwhile, I drove to American University to work on my statistics group project & took the Macarthur Blvd. along the Potomac River to Loughboro Rd. in Washington, DC route, so I was able to pull over safely for these photos of my mystery purple tree.
purple tree with electrical poles To give you a sense of their height - note the electrical poles in the background.

purple tree blossoms close-up of the blossom - no leaves yet.
Purple tree This one shows how you see the purple/blue against the green leaves of the other trees.

So you can see that it is not wisteria - a vine. & I doubt that it is Jacaranda either... (everything that I have read has the Jacaranda's growing in a different region, i.e. Southern California... & besides these purple mystery trees are not messy.) Does anyone know what this tree is called?

Potomac The Potomac River. In the fall, I answered a meme that asked about something that suprised me... As you can see the river is hidden behind the spring leaves - in the fall after the leaves fall, you can see the river without having to get out of the car and zoom in on it - so it is a suprise in the fall eventhough you know it is there all along.

Stashbuster topic of the week... Your dream quilt... WOW boy is that a loaded question. It kind of makes meed need to admit that I want to be doing more complex piecing or something, huh? So I will answer this one fairly honestly... My dream quilt is the one that uses the last bit of my stash! :o)

9 comments:

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

We have those same trees here in Kentucky. It grows along the road near the Ohio river. I don't know what they are called, but they do look like a wysteria. I'll ask my quilt group and let you know if I find anything out.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

I have no idea but they are nice and worth pulling over for! Hey, I have timtams here for you-ever see the cowboys again? Tracey ( I would hate to have to eat them...like I did the Aero bars...OOPS!)

Clare said...

Got no idea. It doesn't look like my Wisteria, but then again it might be a wild one.

Jeanne said...

Look up 'Paulownia' and see if the pics are right -- I can't tell.
Jeanne

Jeanne said...

Can't help with the mystery tree, but I'm curious to discover what it is.

Greenmare said...

oh my, those are just lovely!

Shelina said...

Those are gorgeous pictures Amy. I'm not quite sure that you would be able to use up all your stash though. If you are anything like me, you would continue to replenish it as you went along.

Marisa said...

What...no more stash?! I'm not sure I could sleep at night...I'd have to be online shopping!! It's an intersting idea to use it all. For me, that would be one VERY LARGE quilt!!!

Libby said...

Got me - jacaranda has more 'ferny' looking foilage than this one. Ours is almost ready to blossom . . . I'll post a pic when it does.