Wednesday, May 23, 2007

in progress

You will recall, that I made this top,plain spoken "Plain Spoken" (from the book, "The Modern Quilt Workbook" by Bill Kerr & Weeks Ringle) using this selection DSC02038 of solid cotton fabrics. And you can see my inspiration fabrics as well.

You may also recall, that instead of cutting from full 1/2 yards, I first cut my fabric into fat quarters. That means that when I went to cut the "blocks" I was only able to get 2.9 out of each. What to do with .9 of a block, was my next dilema - that is 90% of a rather big block...

I cut them down to a size that I liked - no real rationale... & then I cut a more narrow slice as well (this idea came from a quilt in American Patchwork & Quilting from a month or two ago, where the magazine interviewed the designers Bill Kerr & Weeks Ringle) - luckily these two cuts were fairly close to the same number...

So I decided to cut some strips from the inspiration prints and mix them in creating an even number, that will also make a nice rectangular shaped quilt...

Here is my result - so far (I have only sewn the big blicks into rows and the small blocks into rows and joined a big row to a small a small row - now I need to make them into 4's, then 8's, etc.)

not plain spoken

rb on not plain spoken As always, RB, my tonkinese cat is ready to help. Rhapsody skirted around the quilt top...

BTW adding in the inspiration print to the original quilt was my first plan for the first "plain spoken" quilt - I am glad that I did not do it - but I am happy that I did do it on the second quilt.

14 comments:

Nancy said...

Both of these are way cool! Good use of all that leftover fabric.

Suzanne Earley said...

I like them both -- the 2nd one especially!

Darcie said...

Way to look at the "slicing and dicing" as an opportunity...and not a failure or mistake. Both quilts are looking spectacular!!!

Gail said...

Love plain spoken, but also really like your own variation.

Libby said...

Another great way to get 'two-for-one' *s*

Andi said...

Wow! Way to take an idea and run with it. Love the colors and the layout and EVERYTHING!

Helen said...

those fabrics are so inspiring! wonderful job.

paula, the quilter said...

Both of those are just so beautiful, Amy. I'm glad you didn't put the focus fabric in Plain Spoken. But it does work wonderfully in the second one.

Hedgehog said...

Just love your inspiration fabrics!

Shelina said...

Both of these quilts are great. I especially like the second one - it has more interest with the added fabric, and the added shapes. Good way to use up the fabric so you aren't adding it back to the stash.

atet said...

Oooh, like them both. I bought that book about a month ago and have been dreaming of what to do with all of the inspiration! Ideas, ideas, ideas.

jovaliquilts said...

Wow! I've been gathering fabric for that same quilt from The Modern Quilt. Your renditions are absolutely gorgeous! I love seeing the different effects on the two quilts -- your posting is a lesson in itself! And thanks for mentioning the article in American Patchwork and Quilting. I hadn't seen it but will look for it.
Cheri in Illinois

Ruth's Place said...

Both tops look wonderful, but I REALLY like the second one.

CasaDeCrafty said...

The first quilt is beautiful but the second one is stellar!