Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I think

I think I will use the rest of my freshcut fabrics to make a court house steps quilt similar to this one: red court house steps. I have always liked the way they make blocks of one fabric by the careful placement of the block. My centers will be kona snow & my log width will be a massive 2.5 inches...

Another picture & pattern for purchase seen here. Another pattern for purchase and teh look that is similar to what I am going for can be seen here.

Courthouse steps variation is what mine will be like - only less obvious since my fabrics are all of a similar value. (I just think that you need to see the high contrast multi-colored version to understand the look that I am going for...) FYI - I never guessed it would be so hard to find a photo on line...

A nice version that shows the traditional light & dark version - not what mine will look like... An arty one - again mot like what mine will look like...

Very interesting article on log cabin quilts - courthouse steps being a variation on that theme.

(Please note "I think" - I may rethink & change my mind often in the mean time...)

9 comments:

Andi said...

Sounds like a fun project! Storm at Sea will be my summer piecing project...although I need to spend most of my time at the longarm!

Rian said...

I always liked Courthouse Steps--it looks like Japanese lanterns to me.

Jane Ann said...

I'm still new to quilting so I haven't tried it all yet, but I find I enjoy courthouse steps and log cabins. They just don't demand much thought so I like doing them and zoning out a bit. I also love pineapple blocks, and until I read the article you referenced, I guess I hadn't thought of it as a log cabin ... duh. (As I say, I'm still new.) Love your idea of using similar values for greater subtlety.

Vicki W said...

Courthouse steps is a great block. No matter what people do with it, it always makes a striking quilt. You can't go wrong with that one!

Dianne said...

Thanks for posting the article on log cabin quilts, Amy. It was really interesting and re-activated my interest in making another log cabin quilt. Just what I need...another project! You, too, it seems!

meggie said...

Love the effects that courthouse steps can achieve. Also the log cabins.
Feel free to change your mind as many times as you like..!LOL

Mary said...

I have a similiar courthouse steps on my to do *one day* list. Now that I have a design wall I might actually make it. The attention to where each fabric goes has always put me off.

Susan said...

I love courthouse steps, but I always like it in two color combinations, with contrast. I guess because that's what I saw a lot back east, in the antique stores of the '70s, when I couldn't afford any of them. =)

Holly said...

Those blocks look really small. How many will you have to make? It'll be beautiful when finished.