Monday, May 14, 2007

getting busy edited - quilting ideas

plain spoken Here is my Plain Spoken top! I plan to either have it quilted like the one in the book, "Modern Quilt Workshop" Kerr & Ringle. You can actually see that if you go to the Amazon hyperlink & look at the "Search inside" feature - I believe it is page 11. Or hand quilt randomly placed and sized circles... (Idea A has a stronger possibility - but I have big scraps, so I plan to make a similar quilt & that one may get the circles...)
K convergence My friend & I took a class on Saturday at the LQS on Ricky Timms's Convergence quilts. This is my friends...
k converging fabric The is her "focus" fabric.
convergence Here is mine - an Homage to The Great Barrier Reef. I knew that I wanted to do an "arty" quilt for the Great Barrier reef... That got cemented when I found the Hand dyed fabric about a year ago... I have been planning on doing the Convergence quilt for the past year, too - but I never got around to it - you have to clean off a good space literally and time wise... So when I saw a slass was being offered I signed up!

Last night since the table in my stewdio was still cleared and my big mat was out, I decided to cut the background for a quilt in progress... Instead of 3.5 inch strips, I cut the 3 inches... So I trimmed the I Spy's accordingly! It will still work. I guess that proves that I need the TV on to quilt!

FYI - I got a B in my Statistics class (YAY! - Huge sigh of relief!) & my next class starts tomorrow night - something about healthcare administration... That was one bit of good news that I have been needing!

I hope to drop of the Kid Quilts on Friday - work & school have been far too hectic....

27 comments:

Rose said...

I love ur Plain Spoken Top...how great it is that Australia touched u so much, ur Great Barrier quilt is gorgeous!!!

mamaspark said...

Did you go to the reef or do you just like it? My DD was in Australia last summer and dove the reef.

Debra Spincic said...

I hope you will be able to get the Kid Quilts delivered on Friday. I know the quilters who made the quilts are eager to hear what the Inn says about the quilts.

Juliann in WA said...

Your plain spoken looks wonderful and the class must have been great to get so much accomplished.
Congrats on the grade in statistics - I remember how much I struggled in that class - just not my strong area.

Libby said...

Wow - I love them all. Great job in statistics - be sure to give yourself a pat on the back *s*

Nancy said...

Boy you've been busy! Love both your Plain spoken. And both your and your friends Convergence quilts are great.

WAHOO on the B!

Rian said...

LOVE the Plain Spoken! Beautiful! What kind of quilting pattern do you have in mind?

Norma said...

Your Plain Spoken top turned out wonderfully! I am anxious to see how you will quilt it.

Laurie Ann said...

Plain Spoken is just amazing! I love it and the colors you have chosen are perfect!

swooze said...

I wasn't sure about your plain spoken top but it came out really nice. That lime green just speaks to me! Thanks for sharing your convergence quilt as well.

Fiona said...

The Plain Spoken looks great - and what better feeling than passing your exam!

Laura said...

Plain spoken is fantastic! The Ricky Timms class quilts are great also!

Jules said...

Beautiful quilts.

Congrats on the B in statistics.

Morah said...

Love your convergence quilt! It really does the Great Barrier Reef justice!

cher said...

great quilts Amy- and well done on your class grade-I can imagine what a relief that must feel like.

Lori (A.K.A. Elkhoundmom) said...

I love your Plain Spoken top! It turned out wonderful. The color combination is great.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

That quilt is so striking. I imagine it will be beautiful on a bed.

Ruth's Place said...

Congratulations on the B!! I love your plain spoken top, but the GBR top is stunning!!

Shelina said...

What a nice upbeat post! You've got two beautiful quilts. The Plain Spoken looks great in those colors. It really sparkles. Your friend's convergence looks great - I like the curvy stripes. Yours does too, and so good that you can get two of your to-do things off your list - the convergence and the barrier reef. Are the 3 inch squares for yet another quilt? Last, but not least, congratulations on the super grade on your stats test. Good luck on your next class.

Jeanne said...

Your Plain Spoken Top has a lot to say! It's wonderful.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

There's nothing Plain Spoken about that quilt... it speaks for itself and it's STUNNING! Congrats on your B in statistics and best wishes for great success in your new class.

Finn said...

Hi Amy, I can see you are using your free time(what there is of it) very well! The Plain Spoken is really a neat top. Both of your quilting ideas sound great, my only comment is, when I decided to quilt circles on one of my MAM quilts, I had forgotten how much hoop turning is involved in a circle....LOL. So I abandoned that idea, altho I love the thought of over lapping circles of different sizes, like ripples on a pond.
I'm sure it will be wonderful no matter what you decided...great colors! Hugs, Finn
P.S. Great fabrid find for your Reef quilt!

Beth said...

Very kewl quilts, both of them. Yay for being done with statistics!

Hedgehog said...

Congrats on the Stats class! Love your plain spoken. Also your friend's focus fabric!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Both quilting ideas for Plain Spoken seem great! Hard to choose - don't blame you for wanting to make a 2nd version with the scraps. How fun to take a class with your friend AND use some great fabric that you have been meaning to use - the quilt is a great tribute/memory for you about the Barrier Reef and your honeymoon! Congrats on the B in your class - huge sigh of relief indeed!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Carol said...

Gosh and I've never even been to the top end.

Love your plain spoken quilt colours, they look incredible together.

Mary said...

I love the Plain Spoken quilt - I may just have to make one of these too....one day.