Wednesday, May 09, 2007

As Promised

doll on quilt I made the big doll in about 1993. She has porcelain hands, legs, & head with a cloth body. The smaller doll was a gift from my grand mother - she is 100% porcelain & antique. With that said, she is not my grandmother's childhood toy. Rather, my grandmother was working at a "bazaar" and a one of the other ladies was going gaga over a porclain doll part, "I wonder if the rest of the doll is here, etc." Well my grandmother found the rest of the doll, but because the lady had gone on so, my grandmother decided to buy it for herself... I don't know who repaired it & I am not sure if the clothes are "original." I do know that my grandmother did not make the clothes. She did however, crochet the blanket in the late 1990's when she felt that she needed to use up her circa 1970's acrylic yarn - hence the gold. (on the back are 3 circles interlocking circles - her pattern was from 1984 & was supposed to be the olympic rings - the pattern was published before it became a crime to use the circles - one in avocado, one in gold, & one in orange.)

doll quilt Here is the doll quilt without the doll.

doll quilt back And a peek at the back.
Made by Maitreya as part of Doll Quilt Swap 2007.

15 comments:

susan said...

Great picture, the colors in the quilt even match your doll. A great addition to your doll collection.

Screen Door said...

What a wonderful keepsake -- the doll and quilt...

Jessica said...

great doll story. I love that the pattern was published before you couldn't use the olympic rings anymore. That's awesome. Do you have more pics of the crocheted blanket?

Libby said...

A very nice keepsake - love those 70's colors *s*

Nancy said...

The dolls are precious and the quilt is too.

amandajean said...

I love that doll quilt. It does look like mine...I actually saw it on her blog a few days (weeks?) ago and I thought I would make one like it. I made a similar one baby sized last summer...it is a fun pattern.

Marisa said...

Very pretty doll. I made several when I was a kid. I used to accidently break the pinky fingers off before they were fired. Oops. Franken-doll.

Shelina said...

How sweet that your new doll blanket has a a doll to keep warm!

Holly said...

Sounds like you had a lovely weekend, Amy. Those are the best kind in my book. Your dolls are wonderful as is the quilt.

meggie said...

I love your dolls. I used to make dolls too, & loved the whole process of making them. I had my own kiln, so did all my own firing.
Love the doll quilt, it is just right for your doll.

Sweet P said...

Gorgeous dolls and great doll quilt.

Samantha said...

Love that dool quilt- and it does go so wellwith the dools!

Patti said...

A doll quilt swap - how fun! It's a good thing I didn't know about this - I would have been tempted to sign up. I love your doll and her story - and her little doll. The quilt is perfect - such a neat little quilt.

One learns something every day - I didn't know it was against the law to use the rings - not that I ever wanted to. Over the years I've seen many quilts to celebrate the Olympics that have used them.

Jeanne said...

Oh, the 'girls' are sweet! The new little quilt goes well with them!
Jeanne

Lucy said...

What a beautiful dol quilt:-) I lvoe the simplicity of it !