Friday, April 13, 2007

Stashbuster Prompt

How did you come to start quilting? Was it passed down in the family? What was your first project and is it finished? Where does it live now?

This is a tricky one for me...

One summer (about 1999 or 2000) I just decided to learn to quilt. (I did not decide to take a class per se, mind you - which accounts for a lot of my bad habits...) I started with hexagon charm - freezer paper

Aside: I was told to use freezer paper by a gal at the guild - so I went to visit gran & got waxed paper - it did not work, so I asked, "How do you get the waxed paper to stick to the fabric?" I was soo set straight... after all of the guffaws subsided...

templates, rotary cutter...

However, I did look for a quilt guild... & Signed up for a class right away... Applique with Karen Kay Buckley! (I previously cross-stitched, so I did not even know how to hand stitch and keep the needle on top...) I knew not to take the "Advanced" class at least...

I never finished the charm quilt - I passed it on to someone else though...

Also around that time, Bonnie McCaffrey (the gal known for quilted portraits) was still doing kaliedoscope quilts... Not knowing any better I decided to give that a try - without haveing done "any" other piecing on the new to me very old sewing machine that a gal in the guild gave to me... I even "drafted" my own paper pieced kaliedoscope with 6 points instead of 8... I finished it, but noone told me to remove the papers... No idea what happened to that hexagon shaped pot holder - hexagon shaped, because I had no idea how to make it square... pot holder, because that was its size, not because fluffy polyester batting would insulate my hand from a hot pot!

However,
My great grandmother was a quilter. She died before my grandmother was old enough to learn - so there is no direct link. I finally own one of her quilts. You can see it and read about it by clicking here: Drunkard's Path.

So, maybe quilting was passed down - if so it skipped a few generations!

3 comments:

Holly said...

It's fun reading others experiences and beginnings and comparing them to our own.

Libby said...

Maybe we just receive the genes that make want to touch fabric that leads us to making quilts - thanks for giving me a second look at your family quilt, such a treasure.

Vicky said...

You started the hard way! LOL! I chuckled over your wax paper experience (and I hate to admit it but I did the same thing!) But I like to think that we're building character while we're oopsing!