Monday, April 23, 2007

plain Spoken progress

Besides the quilt show, I worked on Plain Spoken this weekend.
Mistake 1 - turning my 1/2 yards into fat quarters... I could cut 2 blocks from each strip, but not 3, so I have relatively huge chuncks left over... (Not the biggest deal, because I also still have my inspiration pieces since Plain Spoken is all solids.) I could have gotten 5 instead of 4 cout of the 1/2 yards, which would have given me the magic number for a full/queen sized quilt - instead I will get a generous twin... Again no big deal.

(Yes, I should have been studying for my final exam...)

So here is a sampling of my blocks - with a lot of overlap...
plain spoken in progress

Mistake 2 - I really wanted to finish cutting them out last night - I cut one too short... Again no big deal, because of mistake 1, I have too many anyway...

The colors are still odd for me - not my normal choices... But I also could not see this in blue & yellow, or, or, or...

11 comments:

gwen said...

The colours are just gorgeous, not at all my usual choice but still, they look really stylish and modern art like. Thanks a lot for sharing so many nice pictures. Take care.

paula, the quilter said...

Loved the pics of the quilt show. You and I were on the same wavelength when it came to cutting. I cut some strips to start working on the background for my challenge quilt and got the HST sewn together and realized that I had only cut half of what I needed. *sigh*

Nancy said...

those may not be your normal color choices but it's looking REALLY great. I really am going to have to get that book.

Ms. Jan said...

This is going to be absolutely wonderful--keep posting as you update. =)

Sweet P said...

I like those colors together. They will make a great quilt.

Shelina said...

You've made good progress. These colors are gorgeous, even if they are a bit out of your comfort range.

I do that too - what you and Paula said. Playing it by ear rather than methodically planning the whole thing out.

Lori (A.K.A. Elkhoundmom) said...

I love how your quilt is developing. The colors look wonderful together.

Samantha said...

can't wait to see it done. I love that quilt! Have you visited the flickr Modern Quilt Workshop Group?

Kay said...

This is very striking. I would never use those colors, but I like it very much.

Nicole and Phil said...

looking good so far....
check the top 3 right rectangles (shades of pink)....the colours are very similar. And the 2 browns on the left side in row 2 and 3 are on top of each other.
you are going to have to be really careful when you sew this one up!
good luck!

amandajean said...

this is looking great! I bet it is fun to see it taking shape. And isn't it different working in all solids?