Tuesday, April 24, 2007

My new book(s)

First I got, Making Scrap Quilts to Use it Up by: Lynne Edwards & I have started a Magic Lantern's quilt using Oriental prints (not taupes - but the bold cranes, origami, bamboo, & chrysanthemum prints. Links for illustrative purposes only, my prints are older...) and a not specifically Oriental, but goes well Caledon/Jade green. (I am never in the mood to cut & sew the bias triangles...)
& I like the blue & orange stars quilt that you can see on the front, but truth be told, I have enough blue & yellow/blue & white/blue & blue ufos! I like the I Spy too, but I have a few of those in the works too.
Since I had the first book, I decided to get the second one (back in December/January when I had gift certificates & when I saw it in a catalog)... Stash-Buster Quilts by: Lynne Edwards. It is o.k. - I bought it for the Layer Cake Quilts and the cover quilt... I am intrigued by the Pinwheels (I think the blue fabrics that I got from Patti would look nice in that pattern...) & there is a bright & black quilt that could look nice with my Jan Mullen prints...

Would I buy it if I saw the whole thing first, not sure (I really like the Layer cake pattern & you kind of need the book for the template...) would I recommend it? Again, not sure...
Not nearly as much as The Modern Quilt Workshop.

In my mini-group, the girls give small gifts for birthdays &/or the Winter Holidays... This year, Nancy is giving quilt books... She only recently came to this decision, so I got to choose a book during our last meeting. I chose Modern Primitive Quilts by: Laurie Simpson. (Not my thing, but it has a taupe basket quilt with an interesting border & I thought that I liked the hexagon quilt, but I know with my other EPP projects in line, that I won't "getroundtoit"& I know someone who will really like this book, so I can pass it onto good hands...) I did not find another to buy then, so I chose the one I chose.

The good & the bad of looking for links on Amazon.... I am reminded of books that I have & I see books that I want...

Why don't you share some of your books...

6 comments:

Libby said...

I love the idea of giving books for gifts. I have taken to giving books to children that I know - they are so often overwhelmed with the large stack of toys. I will now add books to my quilt gift giving list.

Fiona said...

I do like that pinwheels pattern - I think Judy L made a quilt in that pattern a while back and I admired it then.

Samantha said...

What do you think of the Making Quilts to use it up (??) or whatever it is called? I ordered it from half.com and never rec'd it and had to file a claim... anyway! There was a bag pattern in it I really wanted.

Juliann said...

I have been looking at that Stashbusters book - I might just have to add it to my collection soon

Shelina said...

Why don't I share some ofmy books? Because they are mine, and you can't have them! I've got bunches. I'll have to make up a post.

Jane Ann said...

I agree with you about the first Lynn Edwards book. There's not much WOW factor, but I keep taking it from the shelf and looking at it. And then putting it back. I too like the lantern quilt and several others, and I really think I'll use it one of these days.

I guess I'll pass on the new Lynn Edwards book. The pinwheel pattern is very similar--though not as pretty--as the "Appalachian Pinwheel" Jan featured in her blog last month. Look here (there's no line break to the link, so copy and paste and back out the line break space):

http://bemused.typepad.com/bemused/
2007/03/stream_of_uncon.html

Love, love, love the Modern Quilt Workshop book. My inner "Zipper" wants to come out!

Vera mentioned the primitives book just today at:

http://kcquilter.blogspot.com/

I enjoy book talk!