Thursday, April 12, 2007

Indignant... Where is my cat? & What is next?

Indignant...
That is how I would describe the reaction of the girl in the local quilt shop when I pulled out "The Modern Quilt Workbook" and casually mentioned that, while I knew I would not be able to find that book in a LQS (She flipped it over to see the price tag - Barnes and Noble - just like in the old Hallmark commercials!) I truely thougth that my special order book would be in by now... I ordered it as soon as I saw it in one of those paper quilt store catalogs that I get... Back in JANURAY when I had a gift certificate... (The publisher of The Modern Quilt Workbook is Quarry & none of my local independent quilt shops carry that publisher...)

Where is my cat?
Rhapsody hiding

What is next?
Well I am going to Lancaster for the big quilt show on Saturday! :o) I am so excited, it is not a Mancuso show, so it will be/is different! (My GF & I have a theory/revelation about Mancuso shows - nothing bad... Thankfully they have shows... I'm just saying...) I can't wait to see how many repeats from Mid-Atlantic make it into this show... The Ann Fahl exhibit is going to be in Lancaster...

&
I am going to make this quilt:
plain spoken in the book "Plain Spoken" pattern in "The Modern Quilt Workshop" by Bill Kerr & Weeks Ringle.
In these fabrics:
DSC02038 The bottom three were/are my pallette inspiration. Totally not in my comfort zone, but the dandylion in me is so EXCITED!

I think I need about 8 yards or 16 half yardsto make the quilt full/queen size, but I have about 20 half yards showing (They don't give amounts for king).

I planned/may still plan to add the prints in with the solids - you know, to add my own spin to it - I am so not a rule follower... (In case you did not know...)
But I am intrigued by the only solids option too... Something I have "NEVER" done and never though I would do... That is why I purchased an Authentic Amish quilt...

Several questions (since I apparently have too many pieces fo fabric)
1. Do I take out the prints? (I am using them as the back & binding)
2. Do I pull out the 3 prints and 1 peach? I know several of the peaches are very close in color/value - even in real life...
3. Do I take out 2 peaches and 2 greens?
4. Do I divide several into fat quarters and remove a few of those? (keeping all of the greens, but using less of each)
5. Do I just keep it at 20 & make the quilt a little bigger? (The one in the picture looks wide & short...)

Wiffle - Waffle - Wonder

Comments and suggestions are most welcome!

19 comments:

paula, the quilter said...

Rhapsody is just too cute! OK, here's the thing: just leave all the fabrics in. The more fabrics the more exciting the quilt. All solids give a feeling of serenity that will be lost if you use the prints, so use those on the back. Just my 2cents. Have fun at the quilt show this weekend.

Ruth's Place said...

Your cat is very cute and he looks so contented. Don't you just hate uppity sales people...so did she say when your book was likely to come in?

Norma said...

I love the quilt you have picked to make next. I have never worked in that colour palette before. You pose some interesting questions. I like the pattern with all solids and would be tempted to use the prints in a border. It is hard to find the cat in the picture--he is so cute in there!

quiltpixie said...

how frustrating to come across the book when you haven't received your own yet!

In terms of the fabric, since I seldom if ever truly follow a pattern, I'd use what you had if you like them, or thin down the pallet taking a few of the very similar fabrics out! I might take out the bottom left print (rectangles) too just cause I wonder how effective it'll be cut into rectangles -- will it just look like really small pieces were used there? But whatever you decide will look scrumptious given the colours you're using :-)

Jules said...

I love that fabric! And that quilt pattern is very interesting. Have fun.

Libby said...

Have a great time at the show -- quilts are quilts, it's fun to see them in a new light or venue. Love the idea of the doll quilt swap - sounds like a lot of fun.

Vicky aka stichr said...

I agree with Paula, the quilter, leave in all the solids, but maybe limit the brighter ones to just a few pieces, for the zing factor. Prints on the back.

Nicole and Phil said...

This is a great pattern, and I love your colours...they are out of my comfort zone too!
I am not sure about the printed retangle fabric in this pattern (I love this fabric by the way, but given that you are making rectangles, maybe it will look a bit odd?), the circle fabrics should work well....any chance of different circle fabrics as well?
Is there any other patterns in this fabric range....perhaps a few extra prints may help it, and the rectangle printed fabric, may fit in a bit better
I hope this helps, and doesn't confuse you any more than you are....I look forward to seeign your progress!

Andi said...

Just to be different and change the pattern a bit...what if you did a "sashing" piece in each of the prints?? Could be interesting!

Kathy Wagner said...

I will be interested to hear what you think about the stash book(if you ever get it!)
Loved your kitty cat photo!
Re: the fabric decisions, feel free to use my scientific method...otherwise known as "I don't know what I'm doing, so I'll just start cutting and make it up as I go along"!

Dianna in Maui said...

I really like your color choices. If I were making it, I would probably leave the small circle print in, but the rectangle print is too much like the pattern itself and the large circle print I don't see happening (except for the back, maybe?). The small circle print has such a nice variety of color and value that it will look different in every place it turns up. PS Love the kitty picture.

Sweet P said...

I have Modern Quilt Workshop too. I've eyed that quilt several times and have often toyed with the idea of making it. I think using the prints as the backing and binding would be fine. The rest of your palette is gorgeous.

Lori (A.K.A. Elkhoundmom) said...

I would not take out any of the fabrics. The more fabrics, the more depth I think you will have in the quilt. If you are thinking of using the prints for binding and backing, you still have time to see the impact after the rest is done. I think it would be a great contrast for the backing, and probably would not draw too much attention in the binding as they have the same color scheme as your solids.

Ms. Jan said...

I absolutely love your colors and the quilt pattern. I'd keep all the solids and perhaps use one of the prints for binding, the others on the back. They are a fabulous color inspiration, but I think the solids alone will be a knockout!

Shelina said...

I hope you have fun at the quilt show Amy.

Amazon shows the book is in stock. I would ask about the status, in case they lost the order or something.

That is a lovely quilt pattern, and I had thought of making it myself, but I don't think I would be happy using all solids. I like the calmness / simplicity of the patterns in the book, but they just aren't me in terms of fabric selection. I just love those patterned fabrics, and when I saw your photo, I got that same excited feeling I get when I just know I have the right collection of fabric, and am excited about making a quilt. I don't think I've ever felt that before about someone else's selection.

Flippytale Quilter said...

I can't wait to see WIP of your "Plain Spoken" quilt, the more fabrics the merrier (I'm so guilty of that) I love prints because they add an extra dimension that solid can't. Cool and unexpected things happen with prints!

Holly said...

The Plain Spoken quilt is gorgeous. I'm looking forward to seeing yours worked up. I have a hard time finding solids in quilts shops for some reason. I must not be looking in the right places.

amandajean said...

I love the plain spoken quilt...
I would definitely do all solids.

I made a plain spoken quilt in January and it went quick. I almost liked mine more before I quilted it rather than after...because the quilting blurred the lines of the solids, if that makes sense. That is kind of the point, but it really looked much different before and after quilting. (as usual for a quilt)

And...I got a comment from Bill Kerr on my blog about my quilt...I couldn't believe it! It was all so very, very exciting.

{Make sure to add it to the modern quilt along on flickr, too.}

anyway, enjoy the process!

Karen said...

Ooo, Amy, can't wait to see the Plain Spoken quilt and isn't that the most fabulous name. Now I have to go back and find out what's up with the where's the cat photo. Hope no cats are missing :-) !