Monday, March 12, 2007

Quilts by me!

wedding signatures Instead of having a sign in book, we had our guests sign a quilt block. Here is the resulting quilt... (The binding is attached, but not hand sewn to the back...) Quilted by Sunshine Quilts. She also did a quilt that was used in my wedding, I wanted this quilt to have a similar feel.

Do you see my model? He just loves to be in the middle of everything... Can't miss out on anything. (I might have been eating a steak in bed...)
wedding signatures block The blocks that were signed are called "Indian Hatchet" Solid squares are interspersed to form stars. I got the pattern out of a Fons and Porter magazine. (Batik back - one fabric - a pink with red flowers, batik binding - red, like the flowers on the back, quilted in label - machine stitched onto a batik - so this quilt is 100% batik...)
jacob's ladder Jacob's Ladder - Nice and bright & scrappy! If I had to fit into one box, this is the one where I would be most comfortable. This quilt is the biggest size that Judy can fit onto her long arm!
lacobs ladder block The Jacob's Ladder block - with a good representation of the fabrics that I used. Black on blacks - one with cats..., dark white on blacks, dark color on black (not in this photo) mixed with brights that included color on white although they are not represented in this block and some cat fabrics... Does that suprise anyone? The border is a Laruel Burch cat print...
lacobs ladder back The backing - flannel, mostly Patrick Lose prints, but there is a 3rd cats on black that is not Patrick Lose..., The binding is a bright polkadot on black.

Together they weigh 18 lbs... (I like it when you can feel the heft in a quilt...)

10 comments:

Shelina said...

Both of these quilts - and they are both on my to-do list. One of Gwen Marston's book has the Indian Hatchet that is made a looser.

DubiQuilts - Debbi said...

Thanks for all the photos. I love the Jacob's Ladder.

meggie said...

Love love love your quilts! And the bright colours!
Have just been catching up on all your posts- for some reason they didnt load for me yesterday.
Thanks your comments re my quilt.

Deborah said...

Love the Jacob's ladder. The color combination is terrific. Also I LOVE that cat/pumpking quilt!

Ruth's Place said...

The Jacob's ladder is stunning, and having your wedding guests sign quilt blocks is a great idea.

Libby said...

I love the idea of a quilt guest 'book' so much more practical -- you'll actually see the names this way instead of a book tucked in some box stashed far back in a closet. Looks gteat.

Marin said...

WOW! Quilting blows my mind. My sis-in-law quilts (she's going to make a quilt out of my old concert t-shirts and vacation souvenir t-shirts for me) and I almost don't get it. I think I'll keep it that way, since I have enough hobby on my hands with the knitting, but darlin', I am wholly impressed.

Samantha said...

Love hat jacob's ladder! I see you've figured out how to load photos from flickr- isn't it so much easier than trying to get blogger to do it right?

ForestJane said...

They look great! I thought at first this post was more photos from the quilt show... :)

Then I slowed down a bit and read your title... lol

Great scrappy quilts, great use of color.

Debra Spincic said...

Your Jacob's Ladder is really Swell!