Thursday, March 08, 2007

Once upon a time ago...

I was in the LQS with a gift certificate burning a hole in my wallet - it did not fit & was tearing up or getting stuck in my zipper - I HAD to use it...

I saw Opulense by Paula Nadelstern (From now on I will just call it O - & Oprah will have to just get over that or take it up with Paula for chooseing for a name for her fabric that I can not type for beans!) BTW I fell in love with Paula Nadelstern as a quilter when I saw this quilt (just an extra tidbit of trivia for today)... My shop only had the "Raven Black" Mega Marbles. oppulence and RB the ham (Gratuitous Tonkinese as a ham shot, thanks RB.) It made me think of a quilt that I saw in one of my Birthday books.Birthday books The Modern Quilt Workshop, by Bill Kerr & Weeks Ringle. The other book being Denyse Schmidt Quilts, by: Denyse Schmidt. (Both of which have sneak peeks on Amazon if you click on the links... & would recommend at least a browse of both... Very different stuff...) called Love BeadsOppulence as love beads(the background is the PERFECT purple & the stripe will be binding), but I could not remember how many beads there were... I bought enough, but when I got home to check that I had in fact gotten enough I saw Gamelanoppulence as Gamelan - where they have you piecing kaliedoscope circles - I just bought kaliedoscopic circles -YIPPEE! Fast forward to me shopping at another LQS and look what I foundthe other colors of oppluence as love beads (The background is the reddish purple and the black fossil fern is for the strings between the beads) so I will be making 2 quilts with the O fabric! (I have some of Paula's older fabrics, too & I even used some!)

Without giving you the patterns, the authors have you piecing the circles, I will be appliqueing them...

Just an FYI (so your can see just how much of a dandylion I really am...) I might make this quilt with these fabrics:plain spoken and I am going to make this quilt with these fabrics:hop skip and a jump
Just don't ask when & noone gets hurt... I think it might be helpful for me to see photographs of my plans as the enter my head - because my ideas are not always readily apparent when I just look at the fabric or my spreadsheet of shame - yeah I remember the already long list of UFO's & WIPs!

Yeah, I am studying & doing my homework - that is why these are just bundles of fabric, ahem...

7 comments:

Lori (A.K.A. Elkhoundmom) said...

I love The Modern Quilt Workshop and have made a few of the quilts. In fact I have been thinking about Paula Nadelstern fabrics to make that exact quilt you show. Can't wait to see the quilts you will make.

Conni Lu said...

Great post! Enjoying all of it!

sophie said...

I also have the Modern Quilt Workshop and was going to choose the Love Beads blocks for a birthday block swap with my small group. We all have excellent taste, don't we ;-)

Liz Harvatine said...

I love love love Denyse Schmidt quilts (her quilts and the book). Her style has been more inspiring to me than anything else I've seen in the quilting world.
When I first decided to try quilting (a long 6 months ago) I ordered those two exact books off of Amazon! How funny!
Can't wait to see how all of these turn out!

Shelina said...

I've gotten both of these books from the library. My Story Maze is from one of these books. The circle one scared me, cause I'm not that good at circles.
I am using the Opulence fabric for my stack and whack, so you are following my path, even though you aren't following my footsteps perfectly.

goneaussiequilter said...

Wow, great fabric, I really look forward to seeing the finished product.

Samantha said...

I'm glad you are playing more with the Modern Quilt Workshop book. It's one of my favorites.

And we all know how much I love Denyse Schmidt's stuff.

FYI, a new ring of Modern Quilting is just getting going. there's a button on my blog that links to the home site andjoining page...