Monday, March 26, 2007

On sewing & on buying...

Several people have commented on my sewing while watching TV...
A. I am not trying to sew anything complicated.
B. I am not "watching" TV, more listening and looking up everyonce in a while.
C. I do the same thing with my hand work, although probably less TV, as I have to concentrate more on the hand work, than the machine work.
D. my previous option was one or the other & TV was winning...
E. My girl cat was even happy as she can sit next to me on the chair in the living room! But petting her is not conducive to feeding the machine...

Since this is in a round about way, more chatter without photos on Up Town, My shopping cart had so many variations that by the time I got my purchase, I could barely remember what I bought... I apparently did not get 1 of each of the paint by numbers prints (grumble) nor did I get the fabric that I was going to use as a border (grumble, again). I did get my binding fabric & I have enough to use it to fix my error, but seeing it reminds me of why I changed my mind (for the worse) in the first place... But I'll discuss that more with photographic evidence, so you can weigh in with your opinion...

10 comments:

Juliann said...

I can sew during some shows but when it comes to something intense, like 24, I give it all my attention and try to get in a few stitches during the commercials. I find things like binding are a great item to sew during TV

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

I used to sell things I made and counted my time as TV-time. Which meant I charged less per hour because I worked on the things I sold while watching TV. Needless to say I'm not in business anymore...smile.

Anyway, enjoy your blog, and reading your comments on my blog as well as others...smile...thanks

Libby said...

I can more easily accomplish handwork and watch tv than use the machine. I don't have to stop what I'm doing in order to listen with handwork and listen is mostly what I'm doing if I'm sewing. Can't work while something with a complicated plot and certainly no subtitles.

meggie said...

I love to do stitchery work when I am watching TV. As you say, it is more listen that watch with some things. LOL.
GOM would never allow the sewing machine!

Shelina said...

I like watching tv while I work on quilting. That way I can keep company someone else who is also watching tv. Multitasking at its best.

Does this mean you have to go shopping again to get the rest of the fabric?

I think that you might find you like your new ideas, if you give them a chance. Seems like you've been second guessing and third guessing your choices.

Flippytale Quilter said...

I put a second TV in my sewing room. Sometimes I have to watch the movie a couple of times because I was concetrating on my sewing and misseed most of the story. My orange tabby will come in and hang out with me, I made a nest just for him. He will get pesky by trying to get up on table when he feels that I need a break, mostly he is good and let me work, just as long as he can watch me.

Ruth's Place said...

I also sew, or knit while watching tv, unless it's something really exciting...

Patti said...

I'm reading your posts backwards as I'm catching up - probably not the best thing I've ever done! So if I make a comment that doesn't make sense you'll know why. Or I'll just blame it on my stuffed up head.

I always sew if I have the TV on. I can't stand to sit in front of the TV and do nothing. In fact, I can't stand to do anything if my hands aren't busy too. I have the worst time at meetings so I try to take notes or doodle. Otherwise I bite and pick my hangnails - ugh!

Anyway, all my hand quilting, hand appliqué and lots of my machine stitching are done while I "watch" TV. Like you I'm more listening than watching, but I catch most everything. Favorite movies are especially good as I don't have to watch at all to know just what is going on.

ShinyNewThing said...

Unless I am really into a programme I always do some form of handwork in front of the tv, such as applique, cross stitch or embroidery, or sewing on bindings. I've now got a small tv in my sewing room but it is more to listen to (with occasional glances up) for company, as I stitch away. I've also discovered that my laptop can receive wireless broadband in my sewing room (bedroom) so I can watch Quilter's News Network as I stitch - how cool is that!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Ha! I do my very best sewing at the dining room table - right in the center of the house where I can keep an eye on my son, any cooking on the stove, chat with whoever is sitting at the table, etc. I know - the machine takes up 1 end of the table, but it works for me - you do what works, right? Good for you!

Cheers!

Evelyn