Monday, March 05, 2007

Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival 2007

Honey Locust beans Honey Locust Beans, by: Judith Heyward, won Best Machine Workmanship - on this quilt I completely agreed. (Just enough beads Honey Locust beans detail different quilting designs, quilting complimented the appliques...)
Happy Cows come from Colorfornia Happy Cows Come From Colorfornia, by: Didi Salvatierra (She teaches in my area, but I have never taken one of her classes.) this was part of a challenge...Happy Cows come from Colorfornia detail I like quilts that "say" things...
Greenwork Kitties Greenwork Kitties, by: Jan Willis (This quilt is so not me, but those are kitties...) I have a close up - if you want me to share it, let me know...)
Grandmother's Flower Garden Grandmother's Flower Garden, by: Patricia Santavicca this quilt had everyone buzzing & here is why...Grandmother's Flower Garden with a dime for scale there are 12, 945 3/8th inch hexagons... I like EPP, but this is MAD! (pretty quilt, great collection of tiny scale prints...)
Breeze Breeze, by: Rachel Wetzler (She did a similar quilt - room view - last year that I LOVED - I LIKE this one...)
Emily of Kenya Emily of Kenya, by: Rebecca Verrier-Watt The animals in the corners are painted & there was a vendor at the show selling them - it was so nice to see them used in a quilt - my GF has purchased these in the past...
Africa! Africa!, by: Linda Hibbert (Do you see how the Cheetah & Gazelle are the same in these two quilts - well they are not "Exactly the same" but very similar... They are all hand done, but Cheetah looking left, is Cheetah looking left...)
Africa! paper pieced center This part was Paper Pieced...
Africa! quilting detail Awesome quilting...
Buckskin Buckskin, by: Marla Yeager - won Best in Show Buckskin detail detail - intersting quilting, great use of that striped batik Buckskin detail 2 detail of the border...

and now for
MY FAVORITE QUILT IN THE WHOLE SHOW!
The Usual Suspects The Usual Suspects, by: Nancy Brown, won Best Hand workmanship
and one of about 7 close ups...
The Usual Suspects 3 The body fabric on the siamese, was used in the muzzle of another cat... do you see the background how it is pieced - neat... do you see how it is quilted? She used several different background quilting motifs...

On the Quilts made by me front, I have two that are ready to be shipped to me from the Long Arm quilter - so I will be sharing them soon...

I have been reading, but not commenting so much... Over the weekend, I noticed at least 3 birthdays (of your children/grandchildren) Happy Birthday's all around & at least one Happy Anniversary too!

13 comments:

teodo said...

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing us. Ciao ciao

Screen Door said...

Thanks for sharing all of the photos-- I feel like I actually attended the show. How lucky you are to travel and see so much. I can;t wait to see your projects.
Have a great week...

Libby said...

The hexagons got me -- I just love those quilts.

Marin said...

Hey, I saw your comment on Laurie's blog (Crazy Aunt Purl) about the kitty pi. If you'll provide the yarn, I'll gladly knit it up for you. I'm in Colorado, so there's a postal element, but I think we can get through that. Let me know...

Andi said...

Thank you for sharing all these great photos! It inspired me to get on my longarm, which has been sitting empty for over a month!

meggie said...

Thankyou for sharing those quilts with us!
Wonderful skills & artistry.

McIrish Annie said...

Dandylion, I saw several of these quilts in NJ this weekend. I was really happy to see the Circus Quilt which was so great up close. Madam Butterfly was in Houston this past September. Was there a yellow and black one named WOW!? at the show? If not, I'll be posting it this week. It makes you dizzy.! We have similar taste I took a lot of the same photos.

Nancy said...

I've been enjoying the quilt show thru your eyes. Thanks for posting all the pictures.

Conni Lu said...

So many beautiful quilts...thanks for sharing the photos.

Shelina said...

These are great Amy. I especially liked the three dimensionality optical illusion of that Africa one.

Beth said...

I can see why you'd love the cats the best!;) I liked the African one, (ball shape) the best.

Thanks for posting these!

Patti said...

Lots of wonderful pictures of fantastic quilts - thanks for sharing Amy. I got a real chuckle out of comparing your pictures to the pictures on another site. One would think they were two different quilt shows. There was hardly a duplicate in the bunch. Obviously different quilts appealed to each of you. She had pictures of all the traditional quilts and you had pictures of all the non-traditional quilts. Between the two sites the viewers probably saw just about all the quilts in the show.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

The name buckskin is perfect for the quilt that won. I had seen several around Oklahoma, where I was raised, and that quilt does remind of them, in an odd way.