Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Happy Spring!

Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen today is the Vernal Equinox (in the Northern Hemisphere) I am actually about 1 hour late (it happened at 8:14 a.m.), but my computer was getting looked at by the IT guy... Because I am kind of geeky, I could go on, but the is a quilt blog with a smattering of travel and cats, not a science blog - I am not that knowledgeable!
In honor of spring, here is a quilt that I rescued form a yard sale back in the very early 2000's.
star quilt She was/is hand pieced & hand quilted, but someone washed her in a washing machine and dried her in a dryer (I do it all the time, but my stuff is machine pieced and machine quilted) so some of her seams popped. Since she was damaged goods, someone decided to sell her. So I rescued her... I even mended some of her popped seams (Before I knew what I was doing - so I did a whip stitch instead of a blind hem stitch, but they are mended nonetheless...) but I found another big seam that needs a repair when I pulled her out for photography.

star quilt close-up A bit close so you can see the fabrics.

12 comments:

Libby said...

Just can't get enough of those wonderful vintage quilts - it's so fun to look at all the different fabric pieces and wonder what the story is behind them.

paula, the quilter said...

Happy Spring to you too! I like the way the star and the adjoining hexagons form a white petaled flower with the star being the center stamen.

tami said...

Too funny. I have that exact quilt that I also bought at a yard sale for $2.00.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Happy Spring! The quilt is lovely and a wonderful harbinger of days and breezes and blossoms to come. "She" must have been so relieved to have been rescued and cared for ever-so-lovingly since.

Dorothy said...

You haven't missed it. According to the National Weather Service, the Vernal Equinox is at 8:07pm EDT tonight. Can't come soon enough for me!

Oh, and pretty quilt - nice save!

swooze said...

Beautiful quilt. Nice save! What did she cost you? Our quilt show had a special exhibit of these finds and even included some that were found in the trash! The horrors!

Su Bee said...

Those wonderful old tops and quilts are like a hug from Gramma -- good job!

Fiona said...

I think the vernal equinox passed me by (about 8 hours before it got to you?). I have never ever seen a vintage quilt for sale here in the UK apart from on the internet (and most of them came from the US in the first place).

meggie said...

Lovely old quilt, & so nice of you to save her. She is beautiful.
I think the quilting tradition seemed to be strongest in America? or is that a misconception. I guess it was quite strong in British Isles too?

Shelina said...

That's a pretty springy quilt to celebrate the first day of spring. Looks like some serious y seams to me!
The thing that struck me was when you said back in the early 2000s. If that is so far away, well, you are going to have to find some adjectives for describing my birthdate!

Carole said...

Happy Spring to you too! Thanks for rescuing this quilt. It's a shame what some people do to these historical pieces. I haven't, as of yet, been fortunate to run across some antique quilts. Perhaps one day! Happy quilting!

Patti said...

What a lovely quilt top! Are you going to have it finished one of these days? It will protect those fragile seams. Looks like the fabric is in pretty good shape.