Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A few things I learned recently..

This is a bit of pre-blogging, please be patient - I am blaming the batteries in my camera.

Grapes & garlic do not mix... I made a a garlicy chicken recipe in my crock pot this morning (yesterday by the time you read this)... I fear the garlic may never leave my fingers (insert comment as to whether or not your fingers still smell like garlic)... I chopped 2 heads of garlic... (The hubby liked it - I got home after 11, so I had a cheese sandwich)

Oh they (garlic) did not mix well with PB & J either... I had blueberries too, but the blueberries were "organic" and had no flavor yet anyway - the conventional ones that I got a whole lot more of for less a few weeks ago were GREAT! (I love you Chile - you bring me love in the middle of winter - I love berries!)

And Quilters/knitters may be THE BEST people in the world...

Many of you know that I love to read CrAP (sorry I find that funny... She does not mind - I have a comment as proof!) well recently, she had a post that answered questions... sort of, but that is not where I am going...
She get a lot of comments, some of which are responses others are comments on comments by commenters... (did you follow that?)

So I asked (Hey, it does not hurt to ask) if she knew of any knitters for hire as I have two cats who would love a kitty pi. Not one but two knitters heard my pleas and both offered to knit me up one if I sent them the yarn...

Off I go to a LYS. Thank you google - that shop is awfully close to my LQS & I needed to drop off my sick sewing machine anyway...

And after sounding rather pathetic (I wear tube socks with my Birks) another knitter sent me THESE!

DSC01858 (this is a fairly normal view of me feet except that I usually am wearing tube socks... & you can substitute the closed toe version of birks...)

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

This ladies and gentlemen is why I get to work by 6:30 a.m. - yes I know quite a few of you are still slumbering at that time, but it works for me...

After a great analogy on the design wall (I must really be missing out on something!) I have to admit that I barely use my microwave... I melt butter - for those cookie crumb crusts that need melted butter & to cook those sweet potatoes that come in shrink wrap - they really work & sweet potatoes are so good for you! But maybe I should use the microwave... I did not pay close attention to my reheating rotissery chicken - the kind sold in a plastic container and it melted - not beyond what is edible, but still... I guess the 375 that was o.k. for roasting broccoli and cauliflower for an hour was not o.k. for the chicken - even for only 1/2 an hour... (I did mention using a crock pot tonight - last night since I am pre-blogging...)

Purim aftermath... pleae next year remind me not to get a dozen Hamantashen... I can not handle the temptation! Oh and when I heard how many calories are in a cup of poppy seeds... (Those are my favorite!) I do keep telling myself that if I actually "made" them I would have had so many more to deal with... The bakery did a fine job... Although the yeast dough with cheese filling is hard to beat (think cheese danish) & find...

The snow from my previous post...
DSC01852 We have light posts - this shot was taken almost immediately after we got home at 10-ish...
DSC01853 The back yard - I love the stark black & white of it...
DSC01855 I am also rather fond of how the branches hold the snow... Later on this day it was "special" to watch the pine boughs spring back after their weight of snow had been lifted. It was almost symphonic how the various branches reacted to the experience...

2 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

amy, the recipe sounds good...what else is used for traditional filling? or is it a personal preference? i too enjoyed your quilt show photos, i really DO need a digital camera to spice up my blog a bit.

Tazzie said...

I too love to read Crazy Aunt Purl. She's one of my favourites, along with the Crochet Dude and the Yarn Harlot. I can't get enough of them!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)