Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Am I nuts?

Am I nuts? When did I get all matchy-matchy? Mod? (I think I got mod at the green faux zipper stage, but that is really beside the point, isn't it?)

Hey Andi - Is Beside the Pointe still a good restaurant in Phx? Am I showing my time away from Az.? (I ran across an old matchbook cover not to long ago - my punny mind made me think of it today...)

Back to the actual point of this post...

Last weekend, I purchased some lovely Moda (the same people who introduced those charm packs that I am finding to darned charming & the Jelly rolls...) fat quarters... The mostly light and aqua ones that you can see here Uptown. Immediately I thought I have 6 fat quarters, I can do a YBR - the only thing, that makes a baby sized quilt & in my mind those are so not baby fabrics... far to sophisticated... Well, the small calico-y one would be cute for babies... (The Biological clock is TICKING. TICK-TOCK if it wasn't apparent... I have been dreaming/day dreaming/googleing/flickring/blog hopping babies....)

Back to the point, again...

So I "need" some more to make the quilt at least lap sized, right?

Then I started thinking - Country Roads at least that is what I think this quilt is called... I own the pattern... I think the brown would be perfect for the sashing & inner border...

So here I sit with visions of a matchy matchy quilt (that will not match anything in my house) & a cart load of 1/2 yards, while I ponder the lint in my belly button - asking the never ending question, should I or shouldn't I? (Should I shop around some more, to see if I can make this purchase really worth while?) Is the fat quarter pack a better "investment" for the scrappiness that it will bring to my matchy matchy project... (I have already almost "spent" that much without getting the variety...)

15 comments:

quiltpixie said...

sounds like a project not quite ready to do, and still in the wonderfully creative time of ideas.... It'll be interesting to see where it goes. :-)

Libby said...

Matchy-matchy isn't all bad - go ahead and do it. You never know where it will take you . . .

jpquilter said...

Some seasons need to match while others scream out for scraps - I say go with your gut

Shelina said...

That is a pretty quilt. I think it will highlight a lot of pretty fabric.

I think the planning stage is really fun. Enjoy the process and make something that you will really like.

I don't see anything wrong with making baby quilts. I make them all the time. You can use them as wall hangings, or as gifts, or just to be ready.

McIrish Annie said...

NEVER MIND THE MATCHY-MATCHY!! What's up with the baby talk and the tick tock?? are you in the planning stage for things other than quilts??

paula, the quilter said...

Is the new space making you think baby? Matchy-matchy has it's place sometimes. I'm not a big fan of black in colors and somehow that seems to be falling into my hands.

Jeri said...

oh, boy. that is going to be a snappy quilt. Yes, get the FQs to get some more variety. If you were making something bigger than a baby quilt, less than 10 fabrics would bore you to tears! I love the planning stage too. Did I say I love those fabrics? Yes, I do.

I will not comment on the baby remarks. Mine is 23. YAY!

DubiQuilts - Debbi said...

I don't know, but I can say what is wrong with being nuts and no to the baby at least for me.

If you can buy it all and create.

gwen said...

Thank you for your funny thoughts on planing a quilt and other things(!!). The pattern asks for a lot of different fabrics I think. As long as they belong to the same style family. Go for it!

meggie said...

Good luck with your design process!

Esteemarlu said...

If you're hearing your clock you better get busy.LOL! I noticed the flower bull's eye quilt in your flicker album and loved it. Did you do any quilting on the flowers.Love the colors.Your quilts are so colorful and fun.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Nothing wrong with matchy matchy. And I don't always give a hoot if something would match my home decor or not! Sometimes it is just fun to do it just because I like it/

Morah said...

Change is good! I find I am getting more and more brights in my collection......You'll still go back to the scrappy but maybe feeling prticularly settled and ready for the matchy right now?

Ruth's Place said...

Go with whatever calls you the most strongly, I look forward to seeing what you do.

Karen said...

All I can say is that I just adore the Uptown line.