Friday, February 16, 2007

A whole nuther side o' me

I actually like English Paper Piecing (EPP). I had a real ugh moment when I realized that that is what I got myself into, but I so works for me & my two cats.

First we get situated on the chair and ottoman - we loves the ottoman - so much better that trying to stuff in a love seat! Oh back to EPP... We then choose somthing to have on the TV in the background...

And then open my hand dandy pencil case turned sewing box and get started. Now two cats come nestle in on the lap and we are good for an hour or two.

the fronts with papers pinned The photos were taken in my office, so I did not have any help - still I am outa focus... You may or may not be able to see a bee on the charm on the left...papers pinned I pinned the paper to that one on the bias, so that i would capture the bee. Most of my papers get pinned like the one on the right.

It is all very relaxing, to start, I have rectangles of the fabrics already cut out & the EPP paper pieces are also pre-cut. So I pin the paper to the rectangels and roughly trim the rectangle to the size of the paper. trimmed After about 30 blades, I finally know where to start my basting. After I have two bastedbasted, I whip stitch them together - no thinking, just stitching sewn together (I switched to Macro & got a clearer picture - do you see the bee?) & then add the blades to either side as I go. By the time I am whip stitching, my helpers are usually sleeping & one might even be snoring - bless her little nose... She usually has cleaned a bit of RB too - he is such a dirty boy! Last night, she had him pinned real good, she was half on top of him holding him down for a wash. I guess to her way of thinking, if she has to lay down next to him, he ought to be clean! I can do one Dresden Plate unit of 10 blades in about 2 hours, but I can only do 2 in a day (so far.) 1/2 of a plate can be satisfying enough... 4 pings 4 down 16 to go. BTW these colors are truest.

If I were cutting or pressing - something that I also do in front of the TV, they can not nestle, because I am seated, not reclined & moving a lot. My helpers try to help at the sewing machine too - cat on the lap at the sewing machine does not work either... The cats will hang out close, but we are all far from satisfied with that scenario...


A whole different train of thought... Unlike some quilter's who know what they like & stick with it, I like a whole lotta stuff. Hence my dandylion monicker... (If you blow on one the seeds go all over.)
As evidence, I have novelty UFOs, CW Repro. UFOs, Bright UFOs, Pink & Brown UFOs, Batik, UFOs, Oriental UFOs, and now a Taupe WIP!
(I guess I am lucky in that I don't particularly care for 30's or Thimbleberries or home spun plaids...)

But stylistically I am all over too - well maybe not "ALL" over... BAQ, realistic cat appliques, pieced cats, "modern" pieced quilts, charm quilts, EPP, monochromatic quilts, rainbow quilts, scrappy, etc.
(I don't care for paper piecing - the other way - but I have a pattern or two that I may force myself to complete & I am not one for a "challenge" - getting something done is challenge enough, thankyouverymuch! Oh & I'm not one for perfection and percision either...)

If I don't see you in the mean time & you are in the USA, Happy President's Day & Happy Anniverary, Michael. No big plans for "the" day, but next weekend, we are going to Hampton, Virginia for the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show...

20 comments:

quiltpixie said...

EPP sounds like lovely cat tuddle time for you... :-) I love the colours you're getting... I may one day give EPP a try, but I'm not much of one for hand sewing so have avoided it as I'm afraid it'll just create another very longstanding project with a constantly unending end date ;-)

May Britt said...

I love EPP too and one of my abysinian cats loved to play with hexagons. I throw them out on the floor and she ran after it and came back to me and placed it on my lap. And I have to repeat it time after time. I love your PING and looks forward to start with mine too.

martha said...

I see the bee! I see the bee!! I can't wait to get my Kit! I blame you Amy! How I wish I could go the Hampton show. Not this year.:( dh has to work and it is a ten hour or so drive!! Your pings are perfect. Is it hard to get the paper out?

Gail said...

Those plates are looking really good. I like that type of handwork, but like you, I tend to be a dandelion both with style and fabric types-and techniques as well.Keeps life interesting!

Fiona said...

Well, you've only got one life so maybe being a dandelion isn't so bad - at least you get some variety.

cher said...

I like EPP as well and have a project in the works from 2003. These pings seem so restful looking. I am sure you and Michael will enjoy the show..sounds like a great way to celebrate to me.

Rian said...

I don't know why I never thought of using EPP for doing anything other than Grandmother's Flower Garden, which is a pattern that doesn't interest me. Now that I've seen you use it for this star, I am eager to try it, but I'm not good with hand sewing.

Like you, I enjoy a range of styles and I like to do something different every time. On the other hand, I'd love to develop a style that is my own.

I see the bee, too.

jpquilter said...

those colors are so beautiful and it seems like a great way to tackle this quilt - and fun to have more up close and touch time for those fabrics
I am all over the map in what I like too - it is more fun that way
Juliann

Judy said...

Libby said you were doing Ping too, so I stopped by to chekc out your progress. I haven't started yet, but how have you gotten so many? Did you buy the whole quilt at once? Mine is a month at a time BOM 3 each. They look great! Can't wait for the quilt show as I live in the next town over about 15 minutes away!!

A Prairie Home said...

I love the fabrics you're using for your EPP project. I like EPP, too; but am not consistent with it. It'll probably take me 2 decades to get my Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt done. :o)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Hey, guess what? I'll be at Mid-Atlantic too!! No pinning me down to a type/style either... the dandelion is me, as well, I'm afraid. I haven't done anything from Thimbleberries or 30's either, and yet... I have an entire collection of 30's prints, why? I don't have any idea. The bee is cute as can be.

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

I've been thinking about EPP, and you know you could do any shape you like. Even squares. How did you go with the centre where all the blades come together? My hexagon quilt is nearly finished - well the Flimsy is nearly finished...

Flippytale Quilter said...

I love EPP too! Anything with a Hexigon I love, but I've tried some other ideas too. It is like meditating, it is so relaxing!

Mary said...

I like EEP hexagon flowers - haven't tried the dresden plate but maybe I should. These fabrics look great.

ruth said...

I love everything about this project, your step-by-step posts aren't helping me resist the temptation...

I have a helper too, all 15 pounds of him.

Karen said...

Oh wow, can you give us a description afterwards of the Mid-Atlantic show? Love to hear about it. Love the account of your kitties keeping you company. And the colors for the paper piecing are sooooo pretty.

Libby said...

EPP is very satisfying and addictive. It's a rainy day here - a good day to settle into my chair with a good movie, my needle and some paper pieces *s*

Susan said...

Those blocks look great! I like EPP. It's the only kind of paper-piecing I do like, really.

Shelina said...

Those dresden plates do look like a lot of fun to make. I like handwork but my wrists won't let me do too much of it. Dresden plate is also on my long list of things to do. I completely understand about being carried away with one quilting wave after another.

Hope you have a super time at the show.

hardenbrookgirl said...

amy, this is going to be a marvelous quilt. The fabrics are just so luscious, and you are doing a great job. I, too, like English paper piecing, though I've not done a lot of it. I want to do a random scrappy hexagon quilt some day - like those made in the early 19th century.