Friday, February 16, 2007

"That" cat in a tree fabric is mine!

kitties in a tree fabrics When I first saw this fabric, I told everyone in blogville! I "wanted" it but I did not "need" it. I was not going to buy it.... I showed my friend & she liked it too - always a good thing.
Then I started to dream about it! I knew exactly how to use it! So when I was at my LQS, I asked them to order it for me... Well to get a special order, you have to buy 1/2 the bolt - or 7.5 yards... (I wanted about 5 anyway...) Turns out that Alexander Henry - the fabric house that made this fabric was out of it! (But they called back & told my shop that they found 7.5 yards in a corner - adds to the story, huh? - almost makes is Kismet!) & did my shop want 1/2 a bolt? YES! - several people wanted to buy some of my fabric when it first arrived = but I got it all! (See it would have been a good purchase for the shop to make from the begining...)

The browns all came from my stash. I have a whole lot more of them... I like browns, they make realistic cat applique pieces. :o)

I am going to do the "Birds in Air" block, only my big triangle will be a the cat fabric & the small triangles will be scrappy browns. I will use the straight furrows setting so that all of my cats and trees stay standing up... I will also use the main print as my border - still unsure about the narrow inner border - maybe a darker aqua, or a rust, or a WOW snow print...

19 comments:

Shelina said...

I like all those beautiful brown prints. The cat in the tree is cute too. And that is my guild's website! Well, I'm not a member, but I've been to a meeting.

Lisa D. said...

What a great acquisition story! I love when you can get something you love when it seems impossible to find! And the browns you have pulled to go with are just gorgeous.

Nancy said...

I've admired that fabric too. Just won't let myself buy any. Those lovely browns look great with it.

Gail said...

I saw this fabric online somewhere and thought of you right away. I almost wanted a bit for myself!

Melzie said...

I see some browns that I have also :) That will look great, I've seen and liked that fabric, its almost retro looking ;) your geese below are awesome, I love the "arty" shots you took! xoxo melzie

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

That is a lovely cat fabric - I have not seen it before. I like the purplish tones amongst the browns.

Libby said...

Lucky you. Reminds me of the time I was in line at quilt shop sale with a bolt of fabric under my arm. The woman in front of me admired it and politely asked if she might buy from the bolt, too. Sadly I had to say NO. I had every intention of buying it all and in this case sharing just wouldn't do. I don't feel a bit bad about it either.

Jules said...

I am so glad you got that. It is cat fabric worth having!

Laurie Ann said...

That cat fabric is so cool! OF COURSE you had to have it! I am glad you finally realized it. :)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Wonderful fabrics, the 'cats in trees' is the best! Lucky you. I will vote for an aqua narrow inner border, it will match RB's eyes!

Morah said...

LOVE the birds in the air block. Been wanting to do but have too much going as is..............

Fiona said...

Beautiful browns and exquisite cat fabric - obviously just meant to be.

Cynthia said...

good for you buying the cat fabric if you really liked it. I look forward to seeing some of the blocks.

Judy H. said...

I can't wait to watch this one develop. I love that fabric, and the browns together with it will be beautiful. I have a (small) cat fabric stash too--I'll have to look for some of that to add to it.

gwen said...

what a good idea to use cat fabric for a bird in the air block! Did you choose that name on purpose. I love all your browns. It is going to look great.

Anne said...

Sometimes there are fabrics we just have to have, and your story about this is wonderful:-) Your plan for it sounds good! I love Birds in the air patterns, and your colour combination looks great!

Rose said...

Love the fabrics!!! cant wait to see the finished project.

YankeeQuilter said...

Browns are so comforting...we have an old, small damson tree in the yard that my Brownie likes to sit in! Just like the fabric. I'll have to stalk her and get a photo this week! Great fabric story...
Siobhan

cher said...

great story and a good plan-looking forward to seeing how it comes along-and how large of a quilt are you planning? With that much fabric, perhaps bedsize?