Saturday, February 03, 2007

head thump moment

I just read this on a new to me blog....

"Here, here stand on this machine. It's awesome! Stand on it! Watch! It's gonna give you a number. And it's not just a number. No, siree! It's a number that tells you all about what kind of person you are! Like it'll tell you if you're disciplined or lazy, in control or out of control, etc.!! It's like magic! The lower the number, the better a person you are. Isn't that awesome?! Oh! And there's no number that's too low! The other thing you can do is repeat that number over and over again in your head, and it'll help you know what you should be doing with your life -- like not eating food, getting some friends together to not eat food and talk about not eating food, and focusing on all the ways you can lower that number, including constantly surveying all your body parts to see which ones are too big. It's a really great machine! This number tells you a lot. You should let it run your life in every way. Let it be your beacon."

She also said this,

"Unless you're a baby or have a legitimate medical reason to be weighed, there's no reason you need to get weighed every time you go to the doctor. It's not like they need to see if you're failing to thrive."

I mention that here, because I just got away with that once.... (second doctor's nurse was not having it) & it was our first meeting. I told him that my weight was x+100 - to answer his puzzled look, x = what you think I should weigh, so x+100 is what I should weigh + 100 lbs. (simple algebra) I have since been reassured that it is only x+ about 50 - not that that makes it any better!

Her rant goes beyond those quotes, do go check her out! She is funny in a CrAP way. (CrAP = Crazy Aunt Purl, BTW)

5 comments:

quiltpixie said...

love the quotation! amazing how we determine our self worth...

Dr. B. said...

Thank you so much for your kind words about my post and for sending people my way. I feel like Crazy Aunt Purl really opened the door for a great discussion, and I hope people keep talking about it.

It's so heartening to know that my experience resonated with you. Thanks again! Cheers!

Rian said...

I hate that the scale can run your life. Excellent post.

Judy said...

Amy, I agree about getting weighed. We haven't found our scales since we moved and I hope we don't find them!

Morah said...

I'm like the commercial with the scale always chained on.....