Friday, February 02, 2007

coupla things

First, two of the quilts that I am donating to the NIH Children's Inn as part of the Quilt Studio service project arrived at my house from Suzanne the quilter. Thanks Suzanne for doing your part! (I will post a full shot of one or both of them soon - the quilts are twins! Maybe I'll show both just so you can see how a like they are!)

The second thing - a quilt fresh from the Long Arm Quilter!

pinwheels Batik Pinwheels. This pattern came from Pat Speth's book Nickel Quilts. She called hers Pinwheels on Parade. You can see it by clicking on the link. When you do you will see that her's has a checkerboard effect, she mixed cottons with batiks for that effect, I wanted mine ot be 100% batik, so I went for a dark background with light pinwheels. Any batik fan knows that the lights are (were) hard to find. So I sorted my Nickles (5 inch charm) into light, medium light, medium dark, and darks. I then paired the medium lights with the darks and the lights with the medium darks, which is why some of my light pinwheels are not so light, but still twinkle. I think that darks and medium darks are all different, I know the lights repeat. I used to really like batiks, but as I was telling Darlene yesterday, not so much anymore. I am at the point where I am ready to make scrappy backs ala Bonnie (that link does not go to her backs, but it does go to my planned pattern for my "In the Pink" fabrics) to help clear them out.

border The border... Yes, those are cats. Another funny story, most of my quilt have either cats or a Judaic theme. So much so that my friend made a comment to that effect. Then we went to a local quilt show in Northern Virginia & I brought this top to show... I said look its not a cat or a Judaic quilt, it is a batik quilt, she pointed out the cat border... :o) Opps!

cat block She might have seen this cat block too.

crumpled quilt Here is any arty shot to show more of the fabrics...

pinwheels back The back is a grape batik. I like that autumn tone...

waiting for mom to get home & the welcoming committee - on my husband's coat. I must have snuck up on them real quiet like, because ususally they are tripping me trying to get me to the food dispensing area...

19 comments:

debby said...

Gorgeous quilt! I'm in love with Nickel Quilts, too. I only recently started using batiks, but I'm still mostly a scrap (of anything) quilter.

Fiona said...

Love that batik quilt - it really shimmers.

Nancy said...

Love your batik pinwheel. But I know what you mean about batiks. I love them and have collected FQs for a few years so I have a shelf stuffed full. But I just can't get inspired to use them. That's one of my plans for this year. To CLEAR that shelf off. Even if I have to use them in pieced backs. LOL!

BTW, I have that cat batik you used in the border. I used it in a 3 fabric quilt and can't stand the way it turned out. So it's going to be used as the backing for something else. Probably the batik Lucky Stars I have planned soon.

Rian said...

I love this quilt! The pinwheels seem to dance across the top. It sparkles!

Andi said...

You did a great job keeping the pinwheels light! Now I have to buy the Nickel Quilts book...oh darn!

Patti said...

There is a quilt in the new McCalls Quilting magazine that made me think of you immediately. It's called "Cowboy Cats" (if I remember correctly), though I'm not sure why because they don't look like cowboys. Anyway, its a really cute quilt with pieced cats blocks. Check it out when you go to the store next time - I think you'll like it.

The Batik pinwheels is marvelous. I'm like you - I used to buy lots of batiks but not any more. I sold all of mine to a friend this past summer.

Laurie Ann said...

I like that pinwheel quilt! I have the same battik in dogs. Isn't it cool? I have the Buggy Barn crazies in all battiks and that is probably the only all battik quilt I'll make.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Beautiful quilt! I love every little thing about it, hidden and not so hidden cats! Great job! I have to admit to having something of a love-hate relationship with batiks. I love them in other people's quilts but I hardly every buy them. I won a stack of FQ batiks and even though they're pretty in the bundle I'm stymied by what to do with them. I tend to stick to more conventional printed cottons and scrappies for sure!

Libby said...

You just get those kitties everywhere. Love the pinwheels.

paula, the quilter said...

I am amazed at how many cat fabrics you have! and the pinwheels are awesome. I'll have to drag out both that book and the sequel to read again.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

Beautiful batiks! Beautiful Quilt!
Beautiful Cats!

Pinwheel is one of my favorite blocks. How did you make your half square triangles? so many methods...

I was raised with simese cats. My husband and daughter are too allergic to have any cats around now, but, I miss them.

Lori (A.K.A. Elkhoundmom) said...

I love your pinwheel quilt! Fantastic! And, if you are so tired of batiks that you need to find new homes for some, I would be happy to help out, :))

Mary said...

I liked this pattern in the book but your quilt is even prettier.

Kay said...

This is a wonderful quilt. The light pinwheels on the dark ground was a wonderful way to do it.
You make me want to do something with my collection of batiks. I have a huge number but have only made one batik quilt. Strange...

Vicky said...

What a fabulous quilt! I love pinwheels, and yours are exceptional! Great job! (BTW, that's the same backing I used for my brother's wonky leaf quilt!!)

(Hugs)

Shelina said...

It is a beautiful batik quilt. I prefer this to the checkerboard effect. I think you now have a challenge to make a quilt without any cat fabric in it.

cher said...

great quilt Amy...those pinwheels do sparkle nicely

Helen in the UK said...

Gorgeous quilt. Wish I had this many batiks :)

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Ooohhh la la - it is beautiful - and that stripped binding is really fun too. Of course, I love your own personal stamp on your work (cats or Judaic) - a fun little twist.

Cheers!

Evelyn