Wednesday, January 03, 2007

WIP on Wednesday

Well I actually sewed over the 4-day weekend. (They all need to last 4 days - I am convinced!)

Here it is:

wip wed 9 patch My first 9-patch of 2007! Sorry it is so blurry, I snapped this pick as I was leaving the house. Yes, that is a cat... but this is not one of my cat projects. This one hails from my orange & raspberry column! Yes, I am working on an official WIP. :o)
This will end up being an Irish Chain variation. You see the yellow is my background and on normal Irish Chains, those would be in the "4" spots, not the "5" spots, so mine will not make "x" es through the body of the quilt. I think it will work out - if not, it will still be a quilt. I am using about 38 "darks." Not all of them are darker that the yellow, but they contrast by color variation - 2 are not as contrasty, but that is o.k. So all of my 9-patches will have 5 yellows and 4 scrappy darks. Do you see the cats turquoise collar - I got a neat fabric, that "might" be a narrow inner border on this quilt. (I am also toying with just using the yellow - so that the "4"s have an even greater floating look to them...) For a change, I am so glad that I got a lot of that yellow! I usually do not buy more that a yard of any one fabric - unless I think it would be nice as a border - then I get 3 or 4.

From my scraps I plan to do something like this:

.5 log cabin A 1/2 log cabin. I was going to do Bento Boxes too, but that block is so similar, that I have decided to delete that one from the spread sheet. This quilt is in my LQS - I think it might be a class in the spring... It is made like a bulls eye quilt... I love the quilting!

I got all of my units of 3 for the 9-patches ready to be sewn together - I definately could have done more over the weekend, but I cut and pressed in front of the TV & then did not really want to go to the back and sew... But nearing the last hour of my time off before bed, I though - you have some hand applique projects...

So here we are appliqueing:

appliqueing with cats For the longest time, it was just me and Rhapsody (the brown faced little girl), but when my husband came to take a picture, RB hopped up too. I spent a good deal of my time this past weekend with a cat or two on my lap. I pulled up a TV table with my cutting/pressing mat so that I could work and watch TV, RB hopped up on the cutting mat only once - he is such abig helper!

I hope everyone else had a safe productive weekend.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aha! The yellow is cheerful and zingy -- this will be a happy project :)
The kitties are such good helpers!
Jeanne

quiltpixie said...

I had to look twice to believe you -- a log cabin and bento box really are very similar.... hmmmm

Kay said...

Pretty colors, great for winter. I have to laugh at the cats on your lap. They don't really look comfortable, but are clearly happy just to be close.

Angie said...

Love those yellows! And your lap looks like mine, only I have wienie dogs on mine. LOL

paula, the quilter said...

When my cats were alive I could never do anything without help. Buddy was the QI (Quilt Inspector) and Chester was the yarn kitty.

Debra Spincic said...

What a crowd! Love the bright yellow!

Beth said...

Kewl quilt! I like the Bento box thingy...

I miss my cat. Haven't had the heart to replace him.

Giusypatch Quilting and other stuff said...

Hi! I'm Giusy from Italy, It seems we got the same idea on our scrap quilt this Xmas!I love the Bento Box pattern... I start mine on the 4 days I got home from work, it's really easy, fun and fast to make! I have also took some picture of the first 4 blocks and posted to my blog. I've done 9 block so far, but planning to make more for a bed quilt. So, happy quilting! Giusypatch

Libby said...

Should cats be anywhere else? *s*

DubiQuilts - Debbi said...

Very bright 9 patch, I like it.

Your helper are very cute.

Granny Fran said...

I'm sure that having the help of those cats makes you a better quilter. Isn't nine patch great for all you can do with it. Your yellows are fantastic.

Norma said...

I love the quilt from your LQS too! Very interesting quilting design. The great thing about four-legged, furry helpers is the warmth they give you when they lay on your lap! Gotta love them!

Mary said...

I like the unevenness of the half log cabin - I've seen a similar pattern that starts with a center square to join the 4 blocks together but that requires partial seams so I'm leaning toward something like this one when (if) I get around to this project. At this point, it's just floating around in my head.

Samantha said...

Love that quilt from your LQS- can't wait to see what you do with it.