Friday, January 05, 2007

Something smart & something not so smart....

wip wed 9 patch Same photo different day...

To begin with I am not using a pattern or any software that tells you how fabric much you "need" or how many strips to cut...

So I started by cutting 4 strips from each of 38 fabrics in hot pink, orange, and raspberry - since I want those to be in the 4 spots. And then a spark of brilliance - maybe not - I set aside one of each for my 1/2 log cabin quilt using the same pallette. Then I cut enough yellows for the remaining strips...

One problem - I am not doing half with the yellows in the 5 spots and half with the yellows in the 4 spots - all of mine will be the in 5 spots. Many of you are now realizing that my math will not work... (I am not that far into the sewing , but I am feeling it too - I have a plan to fix it - I think.)

BUT (Yes, there is always a but) some of my orange, raspberry, & hot pink strips were not quite WOF as was my yellow - I was using what I had! So I have some extra 2 patches and some 1.5 inch yellow squares left over - thinking I would just make some 4 patches for the centers of some of my log cabins for variety... BUT I am now going to sew the extra yellow squares onto the 2 patches and even out my math a bit.... :o)

I still may have some leftovers, but I am prepared to deal with them gracefully!

Can you tell what part was smart & what part wasn't? Anyone else work this way?

Oh and after all of that chatter on sashing yesterday, I am doing the 12x12x12 project on the quilt studio ring... (I have always wanted to do a cat "sampler") using the theme of cats... I am going to let my muse dictate the techniques (hoping to try some new stuff) & then will sew them together into a sampler quilt... So I will be using sashing to bring them all together... :o) Maybe even some corner stones!

I know what I want to do for January - now to do it! (By the 12th no less...) Where is my ultra suede?

4 comments:

DubiQuilts - Debbi said...

No Pattern, math does not added up, leftovers, and plans - you sound like me.

I have been thinking about turning my 12 x 12 x 12 into 1 big quilt too.

Libby said...

Trying to 'do the math' is often my undoing. I much prefer the 'plow headlong and see what happens' method .

Faith said...

Just go along with the flow and get creative with the colours and what you feel, don't worry too much about the maths, what ever other material you have left can always be included for other exciting projects. I love your colour choice nice and loud, nice and bright, this all looks so yummy.
Keep posting on your blogs how you are getting on so far...
nutbudx

Deborah said...

I tend to just determine what size the pieces need to be and start cutting. I make a vague guess as to how much fabric I will need. It doesn't always work out.

I love the idea of a cat quilt, can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm kind of inspired to do a cat charm quilt, & start collecting different cat prints.