Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Mimi's BAQ fabric....

My mini-group meets monthly in the back of a quilt shop, Seminole Sampler, in Catonsville, Maryland. This shop is on that Mimi Dietrich frequents & there was a lot of evidence of that waiting for us this past Sunday....
Machine appl. BAQ by M.D. This one uses the fabrics and is machine appliqued. (The border is from the "cheater" fabric. Sorry, I don't know what else to call it... "Cheater" is not meant to be "bad.")
16 block BAQ fabric by M.D. All of the rest of the quilts use the Cheater blocks...
1 BAQ fabric by M.D.
9 blocks BAQ fabric by M.D.
TATW BAQ fabric by M.D. as seen in the magazines This is the one being used in the advertising.
star BAQ fabric by M.D.

I thought about buying some... (Why the hell not, I bought the taupes that I himmed & hawed about last week - My LQS had them & they are nice...) But there are only 8 blocks... Album quilts are supposed to have all different applique blocks... When did I become such an album snob, stickler, rule follower... If I could have thought of a way to use 8 blocks I might have made a purchase... But not unlike the last time I was tricked into buying fabric because Mimi bought some I persevered and did not/will not buy any!

Did I tell ya'll about the time I went fabric shopping & ran into Mimi? It has been several years now, but back when the Blue Bird of Happiness (the only photo I could find of it - it is that old) fabric came out, I was star stuck... (You know that way teens buy "x" because the celebutant of the moment has one...)

I di dnot buy as much as she, but I bought too much... It is no longer in my stash, I finally made a HUGE YBR & sold it - it did look "matchy matchy" in a decorator way....

Oh that reminds me, at my other LQS, they are about to teach YBR & haveone one the wall in reds & blacks - someone was looking at it and asked out loud - so somone else who did not know - "Why is that called, Yellow Brick Road?" Tee Hee! (I should have told them, but I did not want to feel soooo nosey...)

5 comments:

DubiQuilts - Debbi said...

I love looking at Baltimore Album Quilts. I am not a hand quilter fo I think the cheater fabric is very cool. You should buy some and have fun making a modern BAQ.

Susan said...

Good for you for holding strong. The Baltimore blocks are really not that hard to do, if you like to applique. There are easier ones and harder ones, and you can pick and choose. I do like the arrangement of the one on the bottom, though.

paula, the quilter said...

Cheater = user friendly

quiltpixie said...

PRe-prints are great for some things, but your right, they do "feel" odd for an album quilt...

Norma said...

A BA quilt that uses "cheater" blocks is right up my alley!