Sunday, January 14, 2007

love the concept, hate the execution

I really like old stories like The Owl & The Pussy Cat, by Edward Lear 1871. And the concept of that being a quilt is intriguing to say the least. Better yet as a panel... But this adaptation on equilter is not what lives in my mind as The Owl and The Pussy Cat. Now this "go with" of just the pussy cat in every color - I like, o.k. (I am becoming more descriminate in my cat fabric purchases.)

Added later: You know as I wrote this blog, I have been wondering just what is it that I don't care for about this fabric... One thing, in my mind I am seeing a pea green boat as the hull of the peas, with a leaf for the sail very realistic looking... I mean I am seeing undressed realistic animals - In my mind the apparent scale issues are naught.

Like last night when I was sewing on my cat charm quilt (Yes, it is on my list - & thanks for eminding me) I was happy to not have included any 30's prints... Oh and I had 2 charming cats with me as I sewed... It was easier than trying to figure out my 12x12x12 block... Which by the way is going to use the wider widths for the background - my must just can not cut it any smaller... She actually balked when she thought, it is too narrow already! Pesky little muse, huh?

Since I am blogging about one of my more favored subjects... I do want this cat print... Now that I have perused my online purveyor of choice, out of about 2 dozen "new to me/not owned by me" cat prints, I only found 1 that I really want - the best part about that is that I do not get that tempted to buy just one - no my needs are more like I want to buy a whole bunch - which in the long run is worse, but $$$ out lay alone... buying the one would be far less expensive, but for me it is easier to pass up 1, that 20...

Now my second favorite purveyor of fabric on-line is tempting me in a bad way.... I love this Porcelain kitty fabric - & it being blue & white means that I will fit in beautifully with my stash as I am rather fond of the blue & white combination in general... They have the above discussed The Owl & The Pussy Cat just pussy cat fabrics.... (If they have the kitties in trees I am in real trouble...) Pshew! That was close, the only one that I really want is the porcelain kitties - so once again, I am fine (for now).

Tomorrow, I am going to have a sew date with my friend & I am sew excited!

11 comments:

jpquilter said...

Have a wonderful sewing date! I have backing fabric for my rwb pinwheels so I have a date with my machine this afternoon too.
Love those long weekend.
Juliann

quiltpixie said...

good for you being so self controlled. I rather like the cats in the trees with the snow falling myself, but it "feels" so cold, I'm not hurrying...

Jeanne said...

Looklooklook!
I can REPLY!!!

Jeanne :)

paula, the quilter said...

Love the treetop kitty fab, and equilter is my favorite online store, unfortunately I have to pay instate sales tax :(

Jules said...

Now, I am not a cat person, but I do love those cats in the trees. I am with you on the panel.

anne bebbington said...

Love the fabric with the cats sitting in the trees as the snow falls :o)

Libby said...

Your kitty stash must be stupendous *s*

cher said...

hey Amy...hope the sewing date was lots of fun.

Andi said...

Two thumbs up for the snowy kitties and the Porcelain (sp?) cats too. One of these days I'll have to photograph my cat prints. I have a peek-a-boo quilt in my UFO pile that is all cats!

ForestJane said...

My favorite is also the cats in the trees! But if you ever see a fabric with nothing but siamese type cats, let me know - can't have any other cat types on there, I'm looking for only meezers. :)

Clare said...

I love the Porcelain one. As far as I am concerned nothing beats the original Owl and the Pussycat illustrations. Have you seen them?