Thursday, January 04, 2007

First an UGH & the somthing quilty to ponder

The UGH - yesterday after exiting bloglines; therfore, signing out, I went to look at my equilter e-mail... I always check the new cat fabrics even if I am not going to buy any - yes there are occasions when I do not buy them....


They (the fabric manufactures/designers) have finally made a cat print that repulses me... (The x-ray one creeped me out, but that is different - I have some of that for ABC quilts - "x" is a hard letter!) & I e-mailed a quick blog post to share it.... It did not land in blog.... UGH!


Anyway, here it is: Elizabethan cats.


Granted there are many others that I probably would not purchase & MANY that I only purchased because of the cats, but that one is just plain yucky.... (I admitted yesterday in the post that disappeared & I state it again, it this particular print was cartoony - I would probably like it... I am not sure why I dislike this so much, but there you have it.)


O Kay & now for the ponderable...


Sashing When, why, how?


Let me start by saying that I know sashing has its place... I know that it is sometimes easier to add sashing than to make more blocks to get your quilt to be big enough, etc.


But I really like the secondary designs... What brought this on all of a sudden?


Mereth was talking about a quilt that her sister Keryn made and referenced the book that holds the pattern... Legacy The Story of Talula Gilbert Bottoms and Her Quilts by: Nancilu Burdick. As is the case for quite a few of the books on Amazon, they give you a sneak peak into the book. :o) In this book, you can see a Goose Tracks quilt. For me that is a PRIME example of why not to add sashing...


But then you can go to Anne's blog and see sashing used in a wonderful way! (I can't wait to see her appliqued border...)


Unfortunately, (maybe only in my mind) sashing often has an "I thought you had to use sashing" effect - not that I would use one as an example here - but I think you know what I mean...


Another reason what I am pondering this is one of my own quilts from the past - that is somehow related to Morah's recent postings about Marti Michell's templates... (I know my mind works in wierd convoluted ways...) I had to look... & then I searched the website further (These sites generally hide free bee quilt shows... & I love a virtual quilt show!) and saw this: World With Out End block (scroll to the bottom) which is the block that I used to make this quilt:

Blue & Yellow Stars. A quilt made well before I had any clue about 1/4 inch seams... It is still a quilt even though 1/2 the points do not match! & It was my first scrappy quilt & it is still one of my favorites!

Can you see how sashing would have ruined the effect? The yellow stars are a secondary design & the blue stars are a Tertiary design.

Which basically means that you have to put 4 blocks together to get the yellow star and the blue star.

On a side note, I am glad that I did not know to fear bias edges when I made this or it would still be a UFO - maybe not, back then I finished 99% of what I started... Even if it did not deserve it....

Why am I mentioning this... I have considered doing this quilt again - I think the templates would help....

Also, I am thinking that templates might help with my card tricks quilt too. (I am o.k. with the HST, but the quarter squares are a bit iffy...)

15 comments:

Libby said...

There's just something wrong with applying human qualities to animals -- like those disturbing paintings of dogs playing poker, in my opinion anyway. Guess there has to be something for everyone.

Beth said...

Yeah, I'm like Libby....that fabric kinda creeped me out.

Hey, I got a free Wheel of Mystery lesson from Marti Michell herself this past year in Paducah. She was so nice! My traveling quilter buddies thought I was crazy for even going up to her and ask her anything, but she was so kind that she sat down and showed me how to assemble it. What a kewl lady!

quiltpixie said...

That fabric really is creepy... don't know who they'll sell bolts of it to... Re the sashing, I think you're right on. Sometimes it enhances a quilt, and sometimes it doesn't. I often find it simply highlights the block, making the whole quilt just a series of blocks one after the other. When it serves an artistic purpose I'm all for it, otherwise "thanks but no thanks"

sophie said...

That fabric begs the question ... WHY?

Melzie said...

um yeah. not a pretty fabric there :) Love your stars they are great :) xoxo melzie

Jeri said...

I predict we will see that fabric in the clearance section, where someone will buy it to make a creepy backing for a quilt.

Sashing has its place - just not EVERY place. I really like your blue & yellow star quilt! You always give me something to think about.... :)

Debra Spincic said...

The cat fabric is funny to me! but, I wouldn't buy it!

McIrish Annie said...

Sorry but I like the Elizabethan kitties. but I'm a big shakespeare fan!! I can see my kitty in a ruffed collar. wish i had one! I would use it to keep him out of the toilet!

Andi said...

Not a fan of Elizabethan kitties!

Sometimes, sashing is a great way to "cheat" - you don't have to match corners! It jsut depends on the pattern and what effect you are going for.

paula, the quilter said...

I'm ambivalent on the the Elizabethan kitties: take it or leave it. Sashing? My latest post has drawings of 3 different quilts. All have sashing. I have found that I like sashing on sampler quilts like in the first and third that I show. The second one the sashing IS the block

Faith said...

well with my absinthe well and truly locked away lol I had to come and have a look at your site while I have a break from sewing machining log cabins. Im blown away by this blue and yellow quilt you've done its gorgeous. was it machine done or all done by hand piecing?

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

I found the Elizabethan cats quite amusing - amazing what you can get a laugh out of, but I admit that I wouldn't be buying any.

Doodlebug Gail said...

Amy - I just love the yellow and blue scrappy quilt! I took a good look at it and I think you're now responsible for my obsession to put this into EQ right now - LOL. Perhaps this will be my next scrappy endeavour.

BTW - that cat fabric is a little weird to me.

susan said...

On the blue and yellow star quilt - I didn't see the blue stars at first, kind of like those pictures where you have to look at it for a while before you see the 'hidden agenda'.

All this talk about sashing makes me wonder about my latest 'leaf quilt' project - I tend to overthink things. I am at the point of 'just do it' or as you so wisely said previously 'better done than perfect'!

I envy your creativeness and ability to get so many projects done! Have a great weekend!

Shelina said...

That is a beautiful quilt, and the points look sharp to me.
About sashing, I think it depends on the blocks. If they can create secondary designs, then leaving the sashing out sounds like a good idea. But if you are doing a sampler quilt, or if your blocks are different from each other, and you want them to stand out, then maybe adding sashing would help unify them, while providing individualized attention to them.