Thursday, January 25, 2007

Because I would rather blog than work...

(My lunch hour started late...)

Am I the only one who stalks "quilt" photos on webshots and flickr?

They are kind of dangerous...

I get all kinds of inspiration - especially when I see kitties...

BUT (yes there is always a but) When I see somone using cat fabrics, I immediately do a mental inventory of my own cat fabrics - specifically those in the current charm quilt & pine over those that I "KNOW" I am missing. (Even with more than 700 prints, I still know that I am missing some... I just do.)

& I see new & exciting ways to use my lovelies... Which is a good thing considering my extensive collection.

Guess what, my cat charm quilt is all in blocks now - 25 blocks of 25 & 12 blocks of 9 = don't worry about the layout, I drew it out & did the math & it works! YAY! Now I need to chose my setting triangles fabric (or fabrics) I was thinking to use the larger scale & newer cat fabrics that did not work in the body of the charm quilt... Can you say AUDITION... Not something I usually do - like on my last one, I chose the tan yarn fabric & stuck with it... I am not so decided on this one & am willing to audition... Maybe I am growing as a quilter & will start to use a design wall... (I can buy a portable one from Nancy's Notions with my birthday gift certificate....) Oh my, the concept boggles my mind!

Oh & while inspiration is a good thing, "Miss I have 80 items on my quilty to do list" at the begining of January & now already have more apparently does not need inspiration.

Oh and Mrs. Flickr & Mr. Webshots teach me humility... I am so in awe of so much of what I see. (I also can not wait for my next in person dose of humility at MAQS next month!) So many ideas & well executed projects!

But you know, I am seeing so many more "modern" quilts on flickr, while the quilts on webshots are more "how do you say?" I hope you know what I mean...

Being a dandylion - I like them all!

Oh and number 3 on my first MeMe from this morning - I have a swimsuit photo that shows the spot that I am talking about that I have shared with a few other bloggers who also do not know what to call that spot... I'll share it with you if you ask...

8 comments:

McIrish Annie said...

Dandylion, get a design wall! I love mine and it really helps seeing it vertically!

seems your brain never stops thinking about quilting. LOL

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

Hello Calico Cat! Thanks for leaving a comment/quesiton on my blog. You had asked if my Hinterberg table could hold a regular machine for quilting. I don't know why not. The great thing about the Brother 1500 is it has a larger bed area. So when you roll up a kingsize quilt, it fits in this area. It could get tight with a regular machine. Plus, the faster your machine goes, the easier it is to machine quilt. The brother stitches like a machine gun-1500 stitches per whatever, I'm not quite sure exactly, all I know is it goes extremely fast. I also own 2 pfaff sewing machines, for regular sewing and taking to classes.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

Also, the machine sets on a very smooth tray that uses wheels to move up and down and side to side. Either machine should work-pfaff or Brother.

I don't sell machines or tables, just like to give, what I find to be, useful information.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Thank you for commenting on my "Fiesta Cats!" (running amok?) quilt! I think I have arrived at a possible solution to my quandary... see today's post. If you would like charm squares from any of the three cat-themed fabrics contained in that project ( circa: 1995) just say the word; they're yours!

quiltpixie said...

My flannel sheet design wall is soooo necessary -- I don't necessarily audition much, but it lets me see things as they're going together....

Carol said...

Oh I love cat fabric too! I look forward to seeing a picture of your quilt.

ruth said...

I hung a white piece of fabric over the curtain rail (mostly because it's been hot and I haven't made curtains for that room yet) and have been using that as a design wall for the first time, and I love it. I also have a long to do list, but not as long as yours...

Shelina said...

I'm doing that too - seeing more and more things I want to make and getting farther and farther behind without starting anything.
It is interesting that the quilts would be divided by the photo service that people use. Hmm. I guess you are more apt to use the things your friends use.