Thursday, January 18, 2007

Baltimore Album Quilts

Has anyone out there made a Baltimore Album Quilt (BAQ)?
Started on?
Thought about it?

Well I have one that is very started - I might have 1 more block to go... (I was going to share a photo or two, but I am having a batteries problem again - I know "I'm HOPELESS!")
& I "want" to make another one or two album quilts... (Want in quotations, because I want them done now, not in the 1+ year time frame that it takes to hand applique them...)

As I was looking at those Taupes yesterday, I was thinking wouldn't that make a great BAQ? (Expensive but GREAT!)

So I started to look beyond the fabrics and into the quilts... So I went to google and searched... I found some good stuff!

Maryland Historical Society & Quilter's Muse (Click on Baltimore Album - but don't stop there, lots of great stuff on that site.) The Applique Society to name a few sites. You can see quite a few BAQ quilts here on the Baltimore Applique Society website.

What/Who got me thing about this? Deborah, thats who. We have the same book, Baltimore Bouquets by: Mimi Dietrich, Deborah is adding neat embellishments to her blocks... I plan on using the same book, but I will swap out some of the patterns given for a couple cutwork appliques. This one of mine may be a monochromatic quilt in blues or a blue & yellow quilt. (Nothing to suprising there, huh?) One of the block makers in Mimi's book did the monochromatic blue version - it looks like blue on white china. :o) Does anyone remember me wanting that Porcelain Kitty fabric... (Can you say backing.... UGH I am so bad to myself!)

Oh & for the record, I am now "really" thinking about the "Taupe" BAQ too... Or maybe just a BOM... Like this one from Pinwheels: PING. I have been assured that none of the 200+ fabrics in the actual Chrysanthemums will repeat - so it will benice & scrappy just the way I like my quilts... It is English Paper pieced, so I can have it as a to go project... I think it is even less expensive that the kitty BOM from Keepsake Quilting that I shared yesterday.... (It is only 9 months...) I would rather have the kitty patterns anyway... Not to terribly thrilled with the watercolor background or the setting...

13 comments:

joyce said...

Baltimore Albums are definitely notmy cup of tea but they are gorgeous when they are done so I say go for it! I think if you are into applique, they are wonderful.

Jules said...

I keep thinking I should do a Baltimore Album Quilt since I am from Baltimore. (Well, close by.) They are gorgeous. I even started designing blocks once.

My dad loves to go in a quilt store and find Mimi Deitrich's books. The dedications usually have some sort of Baltimore speak in them. He took a class from her once at the Seminole Sampler.

debby said...

I saw the original PING, and the photos truly do not do it justice --- it is GORGEOUS!!! I signed up for the BOM, too. We can spur each other on to completion maybe?

You asked about the mass market Daiwabo fabrics .... they are not the low quality $1/yard stiff junky fabrics, but they feel the same as most quilting fabrics. The wonderful textures of the Japanese fabrics are missing in this mass-market line.

Samantha said...

I admire Baltimore Albums from afar... they are amazing!

paula, the quilter said...

I'll check my fabrics when I get home, but I think it might be a difference of printed vs. woven? Whatever. I like my Daiwabos. And there are a couple of the lighter ones that would make good backgrounds for appliqué. I am a charter member of TAS (the applique society) and just received my newsletter with the free patterns in it. I highly recommend TAS. Also, when I took a class with Suzanne Marshall, one of the students brought in a BAQ as a show and brag (even though there wasn't to be a show & brag) and she had done it on a very dark beige/taupe background. Looked good.

Beth said...

Well I just had to go look at the Ping pattern (I can't let a link go by whithput looking at it) amd signed up for the BOM as well....I too need an on the go project and this one is just lovely! Thanks for the link Amy!

Fiona said...

Applique is not my thing, but I do love the three dimensional effect of Deborah's block (though I also love those spring colours too).

Susan said...

Yes, I have blocks one white and blocks on black, and will someday put them together. =)

The taupes sound like a lovely alternative color scheme.

YankeeQuilter said...

I finished one Baltimore Album and have another 14 blocks in a box. I took Mimi's year long class. It was great. I'd like to make one more.....

Karen said...

Ohhhh so much to look at. Love BAQ. Tried to take a class but I was a Bear of Little Skill when it came to that. Wish I could see your list of bookmarked Favorites for quilting, it must be incredible :-).

Lizzy said...

I would love to have/do a BAQ. But I am just not a real fan of hand appliqué. Thinking about working on my machine appliqué. Just finished a Dresden plate that is hand appliquéd it took a year and I could not imagine the time it would take me to do more intricate blocks.

Lizzy

Libby said...

I have a book and that's where it ended. When visiting The Princess at Andrews AFB some years back, that was my souvenir. Thinking I would just 'whip' one out. HA! The book is pretty and that's good enough.

Giusypatch Quilting and other stuff said...

Oh... I have tons of book on Baltimore Albums or similar kind... My first was a booklet with all the patterns to make the Mary Mannakee Baltimore Album Quilt by DAR Museum that a quilting friend sent to me in the 1997. (Gosh... I have to look where It disappear... 2 house moving from then, I don't would have lost it!!); It was a period that when I bought a book it ever was an applique quilt book, so I have: 3 book from Elly Sienkiewicz; "Conway Album (I'm Not From Baltimore) by Irma Gail Hatcher; Little Brown Bird Patterns by Margaret Docherty and something else.... and the sad thing is... I NEVER SERIOUSLY STARTED TO DO ONE!!! :-(( We could try to make our self BOM... and share the effort of each other on the blog... what's you think about??